"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Oh, they'd hate me. I wouldn't have any qualms about calling the Health Department, and the local media, AFTER I handed in my resignation.

One question: How often does the fryer oil get changed? Is fish the only thing they fry in it? Are we talking commercial deep fryers, or counter-top home models?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Time to act!

Not trying to make you the bad guy here Wart, but back at the beginning of the sauce post I commented:

"I suggest you go to your boss ( that may be a person or a Lodge board) and explain what you have seen and the liability that the lodge is taking on by allowing these practices.

If there is a major food poisoning there, people will remember the name of the lodge, not the group who was using the facility. In addition, Lawyers will look to both the group and the lodge for damage recovery and the Health Department will hold the lodge responsible too, as they are the ones with the licensed kitchen.

All in all, this argument should convince your superiors to modify their oversight of their kitchen facilities.

If it doesn't, then you have a decision to make. Anxiety attacks are a message. You are going to feel really bad if something happens and you don't take some action. If you don't get support from your employer, call the Health Department."

You indicated then that you had tried to reason with your employer to no avail. That left calling the health department.

Yet you avoided responding directly to that suggestion then or in any of the subsequent 10 or so similar recommendations from others.

It you hold a food handlers permit (required to be the head cook in most jurisdictions) you have an OBLIGATION to contact health authorities, and not just a moral one. In many jurisdictions, your knowledge of these activities without taking action could jeopardize your ability to work in the food service industry in the future and possibly open you up to legal action in the event of a major food poisoning.

Instead of preaching to the choir here, maybe you need to resolve this problem now?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
dude, for real, this kinds thing NEEDS to be fixed....

i would not be there, bottom line, I would NOT want my name associated with any potential risks that are inevitable...
Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
at what price do you compromise your own ethics and KNOWN safety?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #15
Head Chef

Here is an idea... it won't make you very popular...

Sic the media on them! Our local TV station does health rating reviews,
and also "consumer reports".

They might LOVE a story about how this is a disaster waiting to happen....
Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
Head Chef

As I have said in the past get out of dodge immediately....Then document what has been going on and go in person to the health department and present your evidence, go to the local press, TV station and do the same.. As some one else made mention you could wind up on the short end of the stick in court or involved in a huge law suit. Which you do not want!!!!!!!. Notify Management of whats going on and the potential for law suits
All in All PROTECT YOUR BACK SIDES AT ALL COST. Take pictures document then strike
shoot your best shot and get a horrible situation corrected immediately
Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
To present a slightly more fair and honest representation of the situation, the kitchen isn't in use till the fry. It's about 65 degrees or so till the ovens and friers are turned on around 4pm or so.

OTOH, there are roof leaks. There is a running joke about black mold that's not actually a joke.
do you think that makes it okay? or safe to eat that fish? If I knew where you were located, I would call someone! Don't wait until someone dies or gets dangerously sick! This is no laughing matter.

Food poisoning from tainted fish can kill, and at best is extremely painful. I know from experience.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #18
Master Chef

ah, if only Marvin Zindler were alive and living where you did--------he was a beloved icon in the Houston community and was instrumental in getting restaurants to come up to code and closing down the infamous "Chicken Ranch" (a ladies of the night establishment)........he was on the 5 o'clock news.....he also addressed and righted a lot of wrongs..........a lot of elderly and people whose health is compromised in one way or another shouldn't be "fried" for no good reason
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #19
Senior Cook

FWIW, I don't think going to the media is a good choice at this point. It may cause the Lodge great harm and lost respect in the community, and that is not your goal.

Had you called the Health Department and requested that someone come out immediately at the time you took the pictures, they would have likely required that the fish be thrown out. That ends that night's fish fry and is a powerful incentive to follow proper procedures; lost revenue and embarrassment. They will also likely explain to the license holder that they are responsible for their "guest cook's" practices and possibly require an improvement plan from the Lodge.

In most cases, this is all that will be necessary.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm with mozart here. Your intent is to stop unsafe food handling. If you do that with dignity then dignity you will have. But if you don't do anything what you will be is associated with a kitchen that operated under unsafe food handling practices and nothing you do AFTER the fact will change that. YOU are just as guilty as the people who let the fish thaw that way.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote