Frat Fish Thawing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
causing a mini-epidemic of food poisoning would cause great harm and lost respect, plus possible lawsuits and legal proceedings.....
The "cooks" need to be retired somehow!

Now that you have brought up the additional facts of a leaking roof and BLACK MOLD, I think you have an obligation to do something. Seriously.

You have had at least 20 reasonable, knowledgeable people urge you to act, yet you haven't done so.

I am wondering why not? :(

If someone should get sick from this, you too could find yourself in some legal hot water for knowing about the risks and doing nothing about it. In addition, IMO, there is a very obvious ethical imperitive to get the authorities involved immediately.

Ask yourself how you would feel if 50 people got sick or worse because you could have done something decisive and didn't.

Ask yourself how you would feel if 50 people got sick or worse because you could have done something decisive and didn't.

also, ask yourself how you would feel if someone you loved died because of the inaction of someone like yourself who dragged their feet in getting something done about a situation like this?

also, ask yourself how you would feel if someone you loved died because of the inaction of someone like yourself who dragged their feet in getting something done about a situation like this?

Wart - this is the "or worse" part stated from the above post. It might seem like overkill to state it but I think you need to hear the facts as they not could happen - but WHEN they happen. It's just a matter of time.

inaction of someone like yourself who dragged their feet

Someone Like Myself?!?

I guess it's not apparent, at least not overtly, that I have been trying to change this situation.

Today I had a meeting where it got to the point of my being terminated.

But then no one with a glimmer of a clue would be there to try to change the situation.

This would be a good time to start a new thread on Frat Salisbury Steak but first:

..... I think you need to hear the facts as they not could happen - but WHEN they happen. It's just a matter of time.

.... As I told the Administrator in the meeting, Theres a train coming, it may not be as close as I think it is*, it may be farther away, but its coming. Make no mistake.

* I think it's RIGHT HERE THIS || CLOSE.

Sit down right now and document everything you saw, said and heard. Who you spoke to, when and who else was present. Everything. Right now. Every incidence of this kind of poor practices, collect photos, everything you can think of.

Someone is going to pay for this when it happens. You will have the evidence that: a) it wasn't you and b) despite claims that they know nothing like this was going on, they really DID know it was happening and chose to ignore it.

I guess it's not apparent, at least not overtly, that I have been trying to change this situation.
I think what people are trying to say here is that you need to do more. Specifically, you NEED to go to the board of health and make them aware of the situation.

What you have done so far is admirable, but it has obviously fallen on deaf ears and nothing is going to change unless further action is taken. And by further action I mean get the Board Of Health involved.

Sit down right now and document everything you saw, said and heard. Who you spoke to, when and who else was present. Everything. Right now. Every incidence of this kind of poor practices, collect photos, everything you can think of.

Someone is going to pay for this when it happens. You will have the evidence that: a) it wasn't you and b) despite claims that they know nothing like this was going on, they really DID know it was happening and chose to ignore it.

Done:

tape.jpg

Yeah Wart, sounds like you are trying to do what you can internally.

I am not a professional cook in any sense, never took a course, but realize those are very dangerous practices.

But if you met with the admins, my guess is they probably said, "Heck, we've been doing this for X number of years and no one has gotten sick". Maybe not in your presence, however.

You have alerted the folks who run the place of your concerns and they may clean up their act, at least for a while, worried that you are going to the Board of Health.

The Board comes in, finds no shocking violations, and they leave. Then you are terminated.

And the place goes back to their old sloppy practices.

Would wait a few days and see what happens. Not too long, but maybe you did put a flame under their posteriors. If not, would document, document, document, and go in for a private talk with the Board.

Good luck, know you will do the right thing.

Course the outcome will be difficult, but probably less difficult than if you are dragged into complicity in a serious food poisoning outbreak.

a number of years ago, i worked at hulette packard in the employees cafe. they served clam chowder.

every nite, they took leftovers and hosed out the sauce , then froze and reused what was left. it occured to me that at some point u are eating very old clams and potatoes. never ate it myself. yuck

the lettuce was bleached to take out brown every night. same feeling for me. didn't eat salad there either.

they would keep lunch meat, ham comes to mind, until it had a rainbow on it.
never ate that either.

only ate burgers, that went from frozen to grilled. seemed the best of a bad list of choices.

never heard of anyone getting sick, but it was a miracle they didn't kill them all.

babe:dry::dry:

ah, if only Marvin Zindler were alive and living where you did--------

LOLOL Marvin Zindler:LOL: Exposing Slime in The Ice Machine all over Harris County:ROFLMAO:

What scares me is that the types of situation exposed by Wart in this particular place are not very uncommon.(as pointed out by babetoo) I have heard so many horror stories from people who work in kitchens.... mostly based on ownerships desire to save a buck.

I cant say I am the biggest safety maven at home and the other people in my house can be downright gross but atleast I know what is going on .... dining out you just dont.

I hope you were a party to the recorded conversation or, if not, had permission to tape.

I can tell you have your "Attorney Hat" on! :LOL:

I think he just means he documented everything on tape versus recorded stuff he wasn't present at. I think!

ah, if only Marvin Zindler were alive and living where you did--------he was a beloved icon in the Houston community and was instrumental in getting restaurants to come up to code and closing down the infamous "Chicken Ranch" (a ladies of the night establishment)........he was on the 5 o'clock news.....he also addressed and righted a lot of wrongs..........a lot of elderly and people whose health is compromised in one way or another shouldn't be "fried" for no good reason
OMG, I remember Marvin well. I didn't know that he died. Remember that horrible toupee? And the polyester leisure suits? He really wore them all the time because he was a client at the vet clinic I worked at. But you know, that man got things done. Sometimes the media can bring things to light in such a way that the citizenry at large demands action.

What scares me is that the types of situation exposed by Wart in this particular place are not very uncommon.(as pointed out by babetoo) I have heard so many horror stories from people who work in kitchens.... dining out you just dont (know).

Or get it out faster.

Heres a thing some may have a hard wrapping their head(s) around:

It's completely possible a dark and dingy greasy spoon serves safer food than a 5 Star.

Watch Iron Chef or Hells Kitchen to name only two. You'll see numerous technical and outright violations.

You don't want to know what happens in even the best of kitchens.

I think he just means he documented everything on tape versus recorded stuff he wasn't present at. I think!

Correct.

My tape, batteries and recorder in my shirt pocket during a 'conversation' between myself and the boss.

It serves two purposes. One is it provides an indelible record. Not a chance of someone saying I heard or remembered incorrectly.

The second and more important purpose is it keeps me rational, on point and focused. You can imagine how easy it would be to 'fly off the handle' in a situation such as this. I recorded it because I may need it, and if I need it I am well served to be the rational grown up voice on the tape.

Back to studying ... :)

I hope you were a party to the recorded conversation or, if not, had permission to tape.

Even if he was a party, did his boss have a reasonable expectation of privacy? If he did (and I would guess a private conversation between a boss and employee in the bosses office qualifies as a reasonable expectation), then the recording may have been illegal.

Ohio

Like I said before Wart, if you keep being "clever" instead of calling the Health Department, you may be the one who ends up in trouble.

My tape, batteries and recorder in my shirt pocket during a 'conversation' between myself and the boss.

In Canada, in some instances (collection activity) you have to advise the people being taped that they are in fact being taped. Otherwise, it is not admissible in a court of law.

I guess what I'm wondering, is that you have all this info, but, other than storing it, nothing is being done. Hate to sound crass, but when you posted, I'm sure you knew what folks would say.

I'm going to step in here and make a comment. He's gotten lots of good information here and he knows what should be done. He also knows the laws on recording in the State of Ohio because the link is posted right above.

Wart - your comment
Heres a thing some may have a hard wrapping their head(s) around:

It's completely possible a dark and dingy greasy spoon serves safer food than a 5 Star

Not one person who has ever worked in a kitchen disputes that. Numerous technical and outright violations....??? I guarantee you that at the end of the day ****'s Kitchen is clean and hot things have been safely cooled and stored. Not completely understanding why you even brought this up.

What it boils down to is we've done all we can do. It's up to you now, Wart.

Back
Top Bottom