"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Done!

Sorry Wart, but I for one am done offering suggestions that you obviously have no inclination to take.

The simplest thing to have done a long time ago is call the health department. They will usually protect your identity if you make it known that that is your desire.

Instead, you seem to be content with posting new horror stories here. There is no need to post anymore threads about poor practices. We don't need to know how long the cream pies sit out or how they thaw their chicken breasts, or the fact that they don't use sanitizer in the third compartment of the 3-compartment sink. THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT DOES!!!

I am beginning to question your motive for these posts.

In any event, you are surely fiddling while Rome burns, and you might be the one burned in the end.

Good Luck.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I have been working in the food service industry since I was 16. I'm now 35. I currently hold a City/County Foodhandler Permit, which allows me to work in a restaurant in my county.

I know that not all states require Foodhandler Permits for restaurant workers. When I lived and worked in Michigan, whenever I mentioned "Foodhandler Permits", they all looked at me like deer caught in the headlights. Within a week of starting at a steakhouse right after I moved there, a Health Department inspector showed up, did an inspection, and started asking me a bunch of questions about food storage, sanitation, etc. He couldn't stump me. I explained that I had just moved into the area, and where I lived, we were required to get permits to work in restaurants.

Does the Health Department require that where you live? If so, do the folks who work in that kitchen have Foodhandler Permits? Does anyone have Management certifications through the local Health Department?

You mentioned that the Salisbury steak was being put into non-commercial roasters. What size are these pans? I ask, because I'm wondering how the food is served. Are you using a commercial steam table that uses Hotel Pans? If so, the Salisbury steaks can be seared, layed out into the pan, sauced, wrapped, vented, and place on a rack to cool. They can then be reheated in the oven the day of service, held in a hot box until needed, and then placed straight into a steam-well on the steam table.

Foods that are cooked, then cooled to be reheated later, need to be spread out into small quantities so that they cool down quicker. Slicing roast, and laying it out in a 2" hotel pan (rather shallow), wrapped, and vented (holes poked through the wrap, or a corner left off, so steam can escape), will allow the food to cool quickly, which you indicated is NOT cooling quickly.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I don't have much time, I have to review for, ironically, my ServSafe test tonight.

Most of you don't understand exactly the situation. But then I didn't exactly enplane it.

Food Prep in this Club is not a daily occurrence. I have called the Health Department on other matters and they have said they will get someone out within three days. Three days. I may be wrong here but I think they will not dispatch a cruiser to spot inspect at 3 pm. I just can't see it happening. There is no HACCP paperwork, no flow chart, at this time there is nothing for the inspector to analyze and compare the situation to.

By the time the inspector got there there would be no smoking gun. You know the story of the little boy who cried wolf? The story plays out the same if there IS a wolf but the wolf disappears before the villagers show up. Think about it.

Thursdays food is frozen burgers and deep fried foods. No problem there.

The next dinner is Friday. It's non-fish. I will be assisting in the preparation so things will be done somewhat safely.

I'm going to the health department Thursday to either get or find out how I obtain a copy of their regs. I suspect their regs will be the same as the State or Federal codes, Regs, etc. I will then dump them on the boss and note it in my notebook.

While at the health department I will inquire how to set up the club for an inspection when I know a hazardous situation will exist.

Fish fries are over for the season otherwise the setup would be Friday at 2 pm.

In the meeting the boss did not make a friend. Actually quite the opposite happened. But I ended the meeting letting the boss think I have become .... submissive.

After the boss didn't make a friend of me I got permission to make suggestions and take notes on what I see that needs changed then bring these situations to the Admins attention. I'm sure he will enjoy my compiling and printing my notes so he has a copy and they are easy to read and understand.

You folks who work with documentation know what this means.

Now I have to study.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Sorry

Instead, you seem to be content with posting new horror stories here.

Not hardly.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
Master Chef

Don't go to the health department to get their regs. Your boss could care less. That won't accomplish anything.

Go to the health department and ask to see the person in charge. Present him or her with written documentation and photos of the dangerous situation. Basically what you have told us plus pictures of unsanitary practices, the mold and other public health concerns.

Demand they take some action immediately.

If the situation is as aggregious as you describe, with food sitting out, black mold and weeping roof, they will have more than a good reason to do something about it. And fast.

Send the photos and documentation to the mayor's office, too.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
Head Chef

Media fix everything, I tell ya.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Media fix everything, I tell ya.
That is true but that's not his intention. He wants to fix the problem from within the organization. These organizations do wonderful things and he doesn't want to put the organization in a bad light - ONLY the kitchen.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Master Chef

He's obviosly getting nowhere with the organization, though.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

elfie, i certainly don't think better lighting would fix the problem...
Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
elfie, i certainly don't think better lighting would fix the problem...
You are so bad!

jennyema - the Mayor is not a bad idea - especially if the Mayor is a member and eats there!

Wart - new idea - are there any city officials who are members? Go to them!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote