"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Frat Salisbury Steak

Early Monday evening, between 6 and 8pm, a 'team' prepares their Salisbury Steak for the Tuesday night dinner.

The 'steak' is actually a 2/1 hamburger or ground steak, frozen, which is pan seared then placed in (non commercial) roaster pans. The searing takes the meat to an undetermined level of doneness. There is a gravy made from the meat drippings whis is then poured over the meat in the roaster pans. The roaster pans are then covered with foil and set on a stainless steel cart. The cart and pans are then placed in the walk in cooler overnight.

The next day around noon C (Club employee) places the pans in the roasters and set to cook at an unknown level for 4 to 5 hours at which point the serving starts.

Additional information: At 10:15am an ugly little creature, A Wart so to speak, entered the walk in cooler with a K-Type Thermocouple probe (passes high and low calibration) and measured the temperature of the 'food' in one pan. One measurement was taken at the pans core. Another measurement was taken by pushing the probe through the core to the pans surface.

The thermo probe indicated a core temperature of 50 degrees Fahrenheit while the surface temperature was indicated as 48 degrees F.

Comments? But first:

Please indicate your level of experience/ qualifications/ if your a food service professional as in dishwasher to executive chef to manager. No, you don't need to hold a title or position to know what I have presented in these threads is ..... just plane WRONG.

I'm interested in everyones opinion but, you know folks, some opines count more than others. Nothing personal, I know MY opinion does not count as much as others on multitudes of subjects.

So,

In the Fish thread I mentioned a meeting between myself and the administrator. I pushed it just about as far as I could. I was looking to obtain 'authority' which didn't quite go over very well.

I pointed out the bio hazard (Salisbury) in his walk in and why it's dangerous. I think he now understands that cooking may kill the bugs but it does little for inerting the bug poop.

I could go on about this meeting, it lasted over two hours. Most of it was very tense.

I believe the Admin does not understand the urgency of the need for change but he DOES understand the need for massive changes. Problem is institutional inertia. That and, much as I despise having to accept it, changes have to be made incrementally following certain procedures and protocols.

Why do I have to accept it? Before anyone gets outraged or says I should quit keep in mind, if I quit there will be no one at this lodge with an idea of what needs done and the situation would continue.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
as much as I despise having to accept it, changes have to be made incrementally following certain procedures and protocols.
I am really not sure why you feel you have to accept this. As has been mentioned many many times, go to the board of health. They will make sure that changes are implemented immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Why do I have to accept it? Before anyone gets outraged or says I should quit keep in mind, if I quit there will be no one at this lodge with an idea of what needs done and the situation would continue.
What good is having someone there who knows what needs to be done if those things are not getting done anyway? You do not need to quit, but you can go to the board of health.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I am an Executive Chef, and work at the law firm of Arnold And Porter in Washington D.C. I know that proper food handling techniques, I am serve safe certified, HACCP Certified, and a certificate holding food service manager for VA, and HI.

If I were to get a LAW FIRM ILL, geee.......just think...

It doesn't matter where you are, if you work with food, you have a responsibility to yourself AND the patrons, to do things right and SAFE. There should be no issue, if I see an employee doing something wrong, I stop them correct them and explain why I am doing it that way. If they have a problem with doing it, no prob for me, I have a stack of applications of people who want to work.

These "stories" you have been sharing are scary. I would not want my name associated with any part of that place for fear of something going wrong....and it sounds like it is only a matter of time.

The lack of any respect for the danger zone, though in this case slight, is one of those things that is just fundamentally incorrect in a kitchen, and can end up doing some real damage. If these people have NO desire to do the right thing, and serve what they want the way they want, I can only imagine that something like ohhhhhhhhh...washing hands after going to the bathroom or smoking, or PERIOD might elude them as well, and could lead to growing some real nasty things in the danger zone held food.

There needs to be a "Come To Jesus Meeting" and things need to be pointed out.

Get a copy of your local health guidelines, get a copy of a food handlers guide, point out, in black and white, what is wrong.

Print this out

How Temperatures Affect Food
Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Tatt,

I think you may have misread the times I posted, by my guesstimation this 'stuff' has spent a minimum of 12 hours in the DZ.

Thanks for the link.

{edit} They probably didn't cook the meat past searing as they think it's getting cooked today. Such as it is{/edit}
Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
can you get a job somewhere else??
Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Wart.... My experiences and qualifications are too numerous to mention...

My Comment is: "You are Preaching to the Choir" (That means you are talking to the wrong people)

Here is who you need to be talking to...

Ohio Department of Health
614-466-1390
Ask for Jean or Larry
They will be happy to talk to you......

They close at 5:00 and times-a-wastin so..Get it done!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Head Chef

I am getting confused.

This is the third post about dangerous ways one place treats food.

I know so much less about the issue than many here - but it sounds like the procedures the kitchen you are in are putting folks at risk.

Sounds like you have three options. One, go to the admins. Sounds like you did that without a salubrious result.

Two, go to the Board of Health. It will probably cost you your job, and that may be tough for you. Whistle blowers often have a tough row to hoe.

Three, live with what you consider an unacceptable situation. And from what I gather from what has been said, the third choice could put you in a very bad sitiutation, including legally and morally.

You are between a rock and some hard places. Sorry.

But it does not look like the decisions are going to get any easier.

Just my take on things, I may have ignored an option.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I understand (hope) you are fighting for the greater good of the rest of the club.

I was 2 days away from this myself where I work now, luckily for the people of the town I work in, our shop was bought by new owners that care about the people they serve and thier health. "Nothing's happened yet" is not acceptable.

Call the HD and go. They will not change. I repeat. They will not change.

Health Dept means nothing to these people, HD will warn them 6 times, they will do nothing. Until they kill someone.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Master Chef

The health department can shut them down in an instant. That might get their attention.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Senior Cook

So, Wart - what is your plan of action from here? As has been aptly stated by many, the general opinion seems to be that you should take this to a higher level. Do you intend to do so?