"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
Head Chef

Callisto, that is exactly what my fridge does - the freezer is fine, and the fridge part gets warm. Try taking a look at this. You may not need a new refrigerator...

Refrigerator Diagnosis Tips at ApplianceStuff.com

Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Head Chef

Here's another handy self-help suggestion I found when I googled:

It sounds like you have a plugged defrost drain line. This is where the water goes to in the bottom of your freezer when it goes through the defrost (removal of ice from the freezer coil) cycle. It sounds like that hole is plugged and now the water/ice has now frozen in the vent that lets air circulate down into your refrigerator compartment. What I usually do in this case is to unplug the refrigerator, empty out the freezer compartment. Usually I also end up either pulling off the back panel or the bottom panel (in the freezer compartment) Looking for that defrost drain hole and thawing it out with a heat gun (be careful of melting plastic) or actually I use a hair dryer. I can sometimes do this also by pouring small amounts of HOT tap water onto it and then sopping/absorbing it away with a sponge or dishcloth. I repeat this until I get the water to go down the drain tube. I hope this help everyone.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Senior Cook

This might sound stupid, but why not call a refrigerator repairman?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Head Chef

Hi Callisto - when it rains it pours, been wondering about you and at least this post tells us you have a job! the one you were looking for I hope.

When in doubt throw out. Meats and related especially. Milk and such as that out. Fresh veges such as carrots, cabbage should be ok but might be kinda limp. Butter should be ok as well as the heavy sugar things such as jams. Pickles and other condiments with lots of vinegar ok. But, when in doubt throw out! It's good to know you can get a new ice box (that's what we called then in Hickory :) soon.
All the best to you in the Queen City!
Don't be a stranger here - we've been thinking about you.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
Sous Chef

You can use the ice to chill your beer again...isn't that all that really matters ????
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
I think only the really big Wally Worlds have dry ice. The "little" Wally World in the town I live in doesn't carry it, but the "big" Super-Center that's on my way to work does get it.
Ours is a Super Wal-Mart but I think there are regulations on the stuff here so they don't bother with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart
This might sound stupid, but why not call a refrigerator repairman?
I have the $14 to rent a fridge. I don't have the $200 to call a repair man, or even the $65 for him to step out of his truck to come to my house.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I have the $14 to rent a fridge. I don't have the $200 to call a repair man, or even the $65 for him to step out of his truck to come to my house.

I paid $193.00 to have that stupid fan replaced, so your estimate is pretty close. I didn't have the time to head into the city to the appliance shop and pick up a new fan myself, and that ticked me a little to pay that much. Sixty some bucks for a "house call"...... That just doesn't seem right to me. I asked him if I could have saved that money if I took the refrigerator in to him. He said they don't have a repair shop. So why then am I being charged for something that is a part of your work, to go to the customer's house?
Maybe just me, but that just doesn't seem right, nor did his explanation...
Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I paid $193.00 to have that stupid fan replaced, so your estimate is pretty close. I didn't have the time to head into the city to the appliance shop and pick up a new fan myself, and that ticked me a little to pay that much. Sixty some bucks for a "house call"...... That just doesn't seem right to me. I asked him if I could have saved that money if I took the refrigerator in to him. He said they don't have a repair shop. So why then am I being charged for something that is a part of your work, to go to the customer's house?
Maybe just me, but that just doesn't seem right, nor did his explanation...
$65 for them to come to the house and "diagnose" the problem. If they find one, that $65 is applied to the repair. If it can't be fixed, you still pay the $65. It's such a rip off. I looked around and you can outright buy a new energy efficient fridge for less than $300 so I'll rent for a couple weeks (if the fix ideas don't work ~ thanks for those by the way) while I'm getting my financial footing and then go buy a new one. Mine has been moved a few times and that doesn't ever help a fridge. They don't like being moved a lot.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #19
Head Chef

Hey, I certainly hear you, Callisto. We've been trying the "self-help" route because we don't really have the bucks to buy a new fridge, and getting it repaired here is a journey that may be full of mysteries and surprises. First, finding someone to call. Then, seeing if they will show up (probably not the first time or even the second time). Then, the language issue. And Mexican men are very macho - if I tell the repairman what I think is wrong, then he will feel slighted. But my Spanish is much better than DH's. OH man - I love living in Mexico, but there are a few challenges.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
Head Chef

I really like the attitude people here have, to try to fix things, and to learn about their appliances if they can. I enjoyed the posts about troubleshooting.
Callisto-I'm sorry to hear about your fridge.
~Bliss