"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Frozen chicken - how long is it good for?

I did a search and could not find out an answer to my question so Im hoping someone can chime in.

I bought chicken tenderloins and froze them when I returned home (probably a couple of weeks ago - use by date is Feb 21). Took them out on Saturday night so they were ready to cook sunday night. Well, one thing led to another and they are still sitting in my refrigerator - never came out.

How long can chicken be defrosted and still ok to eat? Are they still ok to cook tonight? I was always told to cook within 24 hours of defrosting but Im thinking they may be ok... maybe... Ideas?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Give them a whiff. If they don't have any unpleasant odour, or aren't slimy or sticky to the touch, then they are probably ok. As long as your refrigerator is keeping a steady temp.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I dunno... chicken always feels "slimy" to me.. how slimy are we talking?

I always do a smell test on food and was kinda thinking I would use that as my last line of testing. So two or three days isn't that bad for chicken? barring any smells or slimy discharge i mean...
Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Three days is ok for chicken in most cases. As long as it was thawed in there and hasn't been left out for too long. There is never a solid yes or no answer for this sort of a question . Too many variables. But, under most normal circumstances, it should be cool.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Awesome - thanks for the info Rocklobster!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree, three days shouldn't be a problem. Cook them today.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Senior Cook

The best way to be comfortable is based on the use by date of Feb 21. When you put the chicken in the freezer, the freshness was sort of suspended. What you need to figure out is the difference in days between the date your froze them and the Feb 21st use by date. If it is two days, then you need to use them in two days. If it is 4 days, the they should be good for 4 days.

Do not think that chicken is any different than any other meat product. There is no basis for this. While chick in more likely to be contaminated with Salmonella than other meats, if cooked properly, all bacteria will be killed.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
The best way to be comfortable is based on the use by date of Feb 21. When you put the chicken in the freezer, the freshness was sort of suspended. What you need to figure out is the difference in days between the date your froze them and the Feb 21st use by date. If it is two days, then you need to use them in two days. If it is 4 days, the they should be good for 4 days.

Do not think that chicken is any different than any other meat product. There is no basis for this. While chick in more likely to be contaminated with Salmonella than other meats, if cooked properly, all bacteria will be killed.

This is a better answer than mine. Thanks, mozart.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitecodex View Post
I dunno... chicken always feels "slimy" to me.. how slimy are we talking?

I always do a smell test on food and was kinda thinking I would use that as my last line of testing. So two or three days isn't that bad for chicken? barring any smells or slimy discharge i mean...
Depends on the chicken and where it's produced. A lot of meat sold commercially in the US has been treated with preservatives so it will last longer. The meat I buy here in the Philippines is no good after 24 hours defrosted...sometimes less. When I buy meat it goes straight into the freezer unless I'm cooking it within 6 hours.

The smell test is really the best way to know, there's no universal time limit. The slimy-ness is beyond the normal texture of uncooked chicken, you'll know it if you see it. And the smell is the same way. If you take a whiff and it just doesn't smell "right" to you, toss it and don't take a chance. Better to waste $5 on some "maybe" chicken than take a trip to the hospital.

Tags
chicken, frozen