Frozen Chicken....how long till it's bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something else to keep in mind is that you can not know on your own that you have never given yourself food poisoning. Symptoms can vary greatly and can happen 3 days after you have eaten the food in question. You could get a headache 3 days after eating something and that could be a form of food poisoning. Only a doctor doing a blood test would be able to tell you for sure.
Of course I can. I know for fact I have never gotten food poisoning from my own cooking.

The only way to know for a fact is to have a blood test so we will have to agree to disagree Callisto.

So jennifer75 I am dying to know how your chicken turned out. What did you make with it?

The only way to know for a fact is to have a blood test so we will have to agree to disagree Callisto.

So jennifer75 I am dying to know how your chicken turned out. What did you make with it?
I would say if you are perfectly healthy, never have stomach problems or headaches, it's pretty safe to say you've never had food poisening. I'd also like to know what kind of blood tests because the doctor's office I worked for never ran any tests for such a thing. Just saying, this is the first I've ever heard of a blood test for food poisoning.

OK can we let this one go now? This thread is hopelessly off topic.

Jenifer? You still out there? LOL, tell us what you did with the chicken...please?

While on the subject. I bought some chicken the other day and put it in the fridge because I was planning to cook it that night, well I didn't get to it a few days later. How long can I keep chicken in the fridge? I thought it was starting to smell bad but it came out delicious, and I'm still healthy as .. um .. a healthy horse.

While on the subject. I bought some chicken the other day and put it in the fridge because I was planning to cook it that night, well I didn't get to it a few days later. How long can I keep chicken in the fridge? I thought it was starting to smell bad but it came out delicious, and I'm still healthy as .. um .. a healthy horse.

I don't know exactly what a "few days" was, but if I thought raw poultry smelled bad, I would toss it.

Glad you had no ill effects.

OK can we let this one go now? This thread is hopelessly off topic.

Jenifer? You still out there? LOL, tell us what you did with the chicken...please?

Hi Alix:

I'm not sure when a thread gets off topic. I think Jenifer's question was completely answered. No one here thinks eating chicken that has been frozen a few weeks or even months is unsafe.

Then a new topic seemed to open with the frozen chicken in the crock pot. In the spirit of this forum and its purpose, I think it would be irresponsible to just let that pass by without pointing out that the USDA considers it unsafe.

I suppose we could have started another separate thread, but I don't really see the benefit of that in this case.

I would like to correct a couple of other things here: Blood tests are not done for food poisoning to my knowledge; stool samples are cultured and the organism is isolated in a lab.

I am also unaware of any food poisoning that takes 3 days to develop or one that only causes a headache. Food poisoning is an affliction of the GI tract and causes symptoms associated with that region; cramping, vomiting and diarrhea. Headache can be associated due to the infection, but I have not heard of it in isolation.

Sorry, but this is the last place we want misinformation about food safety.

mozart, I do know there's a rule that threads aren't supposed to get off track. The crock pot discussion was off track and, I guess, should be another discussion. Not enforcing the rules, just knowledgeable of them.

In the spirit of this forum and its purpose, I think it would be irresponsible to just let that pass by without pointing out that the USDA considers it unsafe.

Well said, Mozart. And thanks for the info.

Hi Alix:

I'm not sure when a thread gets off topic. I think Jenifer's question was completely answered. No one here thinks eating chicken that has been frozen a few weeks or even months is unsafe.

Then a new topic seemed to open with the frozen chicken in the crock pot. In the spirit of this forum and its purpose, I think it would be irresponsible to just let that pass by without pointing out that the USDA considers it unsafe.

I suppose we could have started another separate thread, but I don't really see the benefit of that in this case.

I would like to correct a couple of other things here: Blood tests are not done for food poisoning to my knowledge; stool samples are cultured and the organism is isolated in a lab.

I am also unaware of any food poisoning that takes 3 days to develop or one that only causes a headache. Food poisoning is an affliction of the GI tract and causes symptoms associated with that region; cramping, vomiting and diarrhea. Headache can be associated due to the infection, but I have not heard of it in isolation.

Sorry, but this is the last place we want misinformation about food safety.
I agree strongly. The OP was about the safety of a particular food item, and the responses have been squarely on that topic. Unfortunately, a great deal of misinformation has also been posted here, and that demands rational, non-emotional responses to set the record straight.

Mozart, the OP isn't really all the interested in whether or not Callisto has ever given herself food poisoning, that was the direction the thread was going. (Sorry Callisto, you know I don't intend to offend, merely to clarify)

Mozart, the OP isn't really all the interested in whether or not Callisto has ever given herself food poisoning, that was the direction the thread was going. (Sorry Callisto, you know I don't intend to offend, merely to clarify)
Um, hello, it was mcnerd that started the topic of using a crock pot, not me. I replied to and agreed with him. Let's not single out and offend people who were just in agreement with another poster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom