"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Hi Alix:

I'm not sure when a thread gets off topic. I think Jenifer's question was completely answered. No one here thinks eating chicken that has been frozen a few weeks or even months is unsafe.

Then a new topic seemed to open with the frozen chicken in the crock pot. In the spirit of this forum and its purpose, I think it would be irresponsible to just let that pass by without pointing out that the USDA considers it unsafe.

I suppose we could have started another separate thread, but I don't really see the benefit of that in this case.

I would like to correct a couple of other things here: Blood tests are not done for food poisoning to my knowledge; stool samples are cultured and the organism is isolated in a lab.

I am also unaware of any food poisoning that takes 3 days to develop or one that only causes a headache. Food poisoning is an affliction of the GI tract and causes symptoms associated with that region; cramping, vomiting and diarrhea. Headache can be associated due to the infection, but I have not heard of it in isolation.

Sorry, but this is the last place we want misinformation about food safety.
I agree strongly. The OP was about the safety of a particular food item, and the responses have been squarely on that topic. Unfortunately, a great deal of misinformation has also been posted here, and that demands rational, non-emotional responses to set the record straight.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #32
Everymom

Mozart, the OP isn't really all the interested in whether or not Callisto has ever given herself food poisoning, that was the direction the thread was going. (Sorry Callisto, you know I don't intend to offend, merely to clarify)

Old 02-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Mozart, the OP isn't really all the interested in whether or not Callisto has ever given herself food poisoning, that was the direction the thread was going. (Sorry Callisto, you know I don't intend to offend, merely to clarify)
Um, hello, it was mcnerd that started the topic of using a crock pot, not me. I replied to and agreed with him. Let's not single out and offend people who were just in agreement with another poster.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Um, hello, it was mcnerd that started it, not me. I replied to and agreed with him. Not fair.
Oh, good grief. Are we in preschool here?