Frozen rice wrapped in saran wrap..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubiksolved

Assistant Cook
So my mom cooks a lot of rice at a time... and before the rice has a chance to harden and get stale... she wraps the remaining rice in saran wrap.. and throws it in the freezer.

When she wants to eat the rice, she throws it in the microwave for 3 minutes and the rice tastes just as if she had cooked it right then and there!

questions
1) is it bad to eat cause of the saran wrap?
2) any other problems you see with this (cause it tastes fabulous still)?

If it still tastes good then I do not see any problem with it at all. Saran wrap is safe for the microwave.

I guess I was just being paranoid with potential chemicals that can transfer over to the rice. : x I guess not..

I guess I was just being paranoid with potential chemicals that can transfer over to the rice. : x I guess not..

There is no harm in freezing the rice wrapped in plastic. Some plastic wraps (I don't know if Saran Wrap is one) recommend you don't heat food in the microwave with plastic wrap in direct contact with the food.

Also, just FYI, hard rice does not equal stale rice. Rice hardens when it's chilled, but when it's reheated, it softens up again. So it can be kept in the fridge for several days.

I have frozen leftover rice a few times but i put it in plastic containers that can go from freezer to microwave and the rice always tasts just as good as it did the day i cooked it on the stove top.

There is no harm in freezing the rice wrapped in plastic. Some plastic wraps (I don't know if Saran Wrap is one) recommend you don't heat food in the microwave with plastic wrap in direct contact with the food.

Yep, Andy M. Saran Wrap is different - it doesn't contain BPA (bisphenol A), adipates (DEHA) or phthalates (DEHP). And, Harold McGee did a study of plastic wraps and noted several advantages of Saran over other plastic wraps in The Curious Cook.

GotGarlic said:
Also, just FYI, hard rice does not equal stale rice. Rice hardens when it's chilled, but when it's reheated, it softens up again. So it can be kept in the fridge for several days.

You bet! Good fried rice needs day old rice. The process of cooling and refrigerating cooked rice overnight allows the starch to crystallize (a process called retro-gradation). This allows the rice to remain firm during the stir-fry process instead of turning into the gluey mush you get trying to use fresh cooked rice. Reheating by any method will soften it up.

As for storage of cooked rice - per the USA Rice Federation website:

"Cooked rice, when not eaten immediately, should be cooled quickly. To store, place in shallow container, cover tightly, and refrigerate or freeze. Cooked rice may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen up to 6 months."

If you don't want to reheat it with plastic wrap you could put it in a strainer and pour boiling water over it. We've reheated rice that way for years.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom