Frozen Turkey Breast still safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi guys, Saturday morning I had taken a pound (450 grams) of frozen turkey breast out of the freezer which I was planning to use that night for supper, but something unexpected came up late in the afternoon and we ended up having to go out and subsequently ate out as well. When we got home the turkey meat was still very cold so I put it in the fridge. Then yesterday we already had plans so I did not have time to cook it up again. Now it sits in the fridge waiting for your verdict, should I cook it up right now or turf it? Many TIA :)

Piccolina said:
Hi guys, Saturday morning I had taken a pound (450 grams) of frozen turkey breast out of the freezer which I was planning to use that night for supper, but something unexpected came up late in the afternoon and we ended up having to go out and subsequently ate out as well. When we got home the turkey meat was still very cold so I put it in the fridge. Then yesterday we already had plans so I did not have time to cook it up again. Now it sits in the fridge waiting for your verdict, should I cook it up right now or turf it? Many TIA :)
When in doubt, throw it out!:sick: (Thats just me though...)

MJ said:
When in doubt, throw it out!:sick: (Thats just me though...)
Very good advice MJ! I'm divided as it hasn't developed an "off" smell or that tell-tlae poultry "slime" yet...Hmmm, what to do? :huh::mrgreen:

I'm going to be cooking some turkey soup today, I got the meat on Thrusday and it's been in the fridge since. Nothing wrong with it, I am positive.

It's only been two days since you took it out of the freezer. It will be fine. Have a good meal.

I am pretty positive that it is okay. Just watch for the discolouration, unpleasant/abnormal odour, and see if there is any slimy substance on the surface. If you detect any of these, dust bin is the destination, if not, your dinner will be its destination....:)

jennyema said:
It was out of the fridge for how long?
It came out of the freezer at about 12pm and went into the fridge at about 7:30pm on Saturday. It was still a bit icey to the touch and very cold (our place is pretty darn cold in the winter, lol) when it went in the fridge (it's still in the fridge) :)

Piccolina said:
It came out of the freezer at about 12pm and went into the fridge at about 7:30pm on Saturday. It was still a bit icey to the touch and very cold (our place is pretty darn cold in the winter, lol) when it went in the fridge (it's still in the fridge) :)
Chances are that it is OK, but your are taking a chance. I would personally never leave poultry out for that long. Always defrost in the fridge, never on the counter.

Piccolina said:

If it was out for 7 1/2 hours than I would toss it.

Most times, if you ever have to actually stop yourself and ask if something is still good, then toss it.

I wouldn't hesitate to cook and eat the turkey breast. I've been thawing raw, frozen meat in warm water for years and I've never been sick. To be absolutely safe, I agree with everyone else, just toss it. Personally, I think it's major overkill and a waste of meat but most of the folks here know better than I.

In most cases Damp you can do that and not have a problem. People do it their whole lives and never run into trouble. The one time that you do get sick though you will be wishing that you had been safer and you will never take a chance again :sick:

LOL! Well said, dude! I can only speak for myself on the matter but I agree, it's always better to be safe. I guess I'm one of the freaks that can eat just about anything without any ill effects! :pig:

GB said:
In most cases Damp you can do that and not have a problem. People do it their whole lives and never run into trouble. The one time that you do get sick though you will be wishing that you had been safer and you will never take a chance again :sick:

Very true, GB. Nothing worse than a trip to the ER with food poisoning. That happened to my Dad once. I felt awful for him he was so sick. He, my mom, and I ate at the same restaurant. We had all the same dishes, except for one dish that he ate that was different. My mom works in the food industry and she always tells me to be on the safe side and toss it. Getting sick is not worth the risk.

Hi guys, wow, I really appreciate all of your impute! I've been food poisoned before (through no fault of mine own, lol) and it is a horrible experience. After taking all of your considerations to heart, and smelling the meat once more, I chucked it :sleep: Just to be on the safe side. I hate to waste food (no sadly, Barbara we don't have any animals, otherwise I would have done that) but $5 worth of poultry is not worth being sick over the holidays for. Thanks again everyone, you were all so helpful :flower:

Back
Top Bottom