"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Head Chef
I'm fire conscious in my kitchen. Fire extinguishers at both ends. Lids are stored with the pan they fit.

I use a double sided (tong type) spatula for flipping. Grease will splatter otherwise, and a little in the gas flame will cause a flash.

Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Remember, gas stoves have a constant flame, so the pan can keep getting hotter and hotter. An electric stove cycles the element on and off to maintain desired setting on the knob.

Electric can actually get hotter than gas (consumer grade gas stoves, not professional high BTU burners) so can be even more dangerous.

I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
You have received some excellent advice. What you did correct? You had the good sense to put a lid on the fire immediately. Next time don't remove it until the pan starts to cool down. The lid deprives the fire of oxygen and will burn itself out almost immediately. Always keep a lid to any pan you are frying in right next to you. A good habit to develop. And welcome to DC.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Executive Chef
You want excellent advice? Go buy yourself a George Foreman grill and a can of cooking spray. It will not catch fire, a lot of the fat will drain off anything you're cooking, and the food will taste better. They are available from single serving size (30 sq in) to 6 serving size (100 sq in) with removable plates. You can order them online, or use a couple bucks worth of gas and pick one up at Target, Bed Bugs & Beyond or Wally World and save the shipping.

BTW, Extra Olive Virgin oil is not made for cooking anything. It is intended for cold uses such as a finishing drizzle or making a salad dressing or vinaigartte. If you insist on frying with olive oil, but extra light olive oil, which is made for frying.

Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote