"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #31
Head Chef

As I understand the problem based on what I've read over the years, the problem with lead leeching into the liquid contents is pretty much limited to the longterm storage of liquor in the decanter. Scotch or bourbon or brandy that's been sitting in a lead crystal decanter for several months will develop a low but significant lead content.

The real problem is that lead poisoning is cumulative. That is, it builds up in the human body over time and is not passed like most other toxins. A tiny bit today, a little next week, and pretty soon you're howling at the moon and eating out of garbage cans.

At least that's what I've read -- I haven't done any tests myself, but I'm of the "once warned" school of thought, not the "twice burned," when it comes to my health and that of my family.

That said, I understand that it's OK to use lead crystal for serving wine or water -- just be sure to rinse it out well before you use it, and don't leave any leftovers in it after the meal. Just don't leave your pretty decanter sitting on your bar filled with booze.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #32
Sous Chef

GB I raise a white flag. Dinner calls and going another round doesn't seem wise.

Neither does telling you about the possible link between the aluminum in anti-perspirant and Altzheimer's disease ...

Old 10-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OK, has anyone ever heard of lead poisoning? This is not a new issue - this issue has been going on for ages.

Here is another explanation.

Do we still use lead-based paint? NO
Can lead leech from a lead decanter into the contents? - YES

It does affect children more than adults like the article in the link states. BUT, it can still affect adults as usage of lead-based items is continued because it builds up over time.

I can assure you this is not something made up. The OP asked a question and yes, we all have opinions.

If lead were not an issue why would one be able to buy lead testing kits? Not because lead is safe!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #34
Master Chef

The fact is that storing liquor in a lead crystal contianer is potentially dangerous. Suggesting that it is not, or is a "safe practice," is irresponsible, IMO.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #35
Everymom

FWWWEEEEEET!!! Blowing the whistle on all of you. Go to your corners!
Old 10-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #36
Head Chef

I just want to say one thing.

Storing open alcohol long term is damaging to it regardless (exposure to air).

If you MUST keep an opened bottle of something, it's best to keep it in it's original bottle. Serving/Storing it in a decanter is attractive, but by pouring it in, you're providing extra aeration during the pour. This helps oxidize and dull the flavors of your beverage.

So, serve in your decanter of choice if you so wish, but please don't store it in one!

I'm a booze snob, and I approved this message
John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #37
Master Chef

why do they sell lead crystal if it is that dangerous? Or why isn't there at least a warning on it?
What do you think, how much lead is in a decanter and how much might wander into the liquid? I must admit, I have no idea...
If I remember it right, my Mums decanters has a lead proportion if 30%...
but I have to look, don't have some here, I don't like the look of it..
you must also consider the lead crystal in comparison to environmental lead poisoning, I don't know if there are still lead conduits over there with you?

And then I ask myself, if it's not more dangerous to cross the street, you could get hit by a car.. or when you are exposed to noise, there is a risk of getting hearing problems... no one knows about radiation from mobile telephons...
so.. no risk, no fun ;o))
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

I just bought a couple of crystal decanters off of ebay. They are both of recent manufacture by reputable firms and now imagine how bummed out I am to find I can't store my favorite cognac in them. (which is why I bought them in the first place)

I have done an extensive internet search on the leaching from lead from decanters. It seems there has been one study about this. I couldn't see what kind of decanters they used. And it has not as yet been repeated so it is not really science as yet. (not proven) And it seems that everyone on the web is paroting the advise (almost word for word) that you shouldn't store spirits in lead crystal.

And yet, a few sites have mentioned that quality lead crystal when fired properly does not leach lead. And that older antique pieces are the main concern.

I am wondering if this is just another American news media scare like the alar apple thing from years ago. (remember when the apple business was almost wrecked because the irresposible news media created a panic over apples sprayed with some kind of chemical)

Remember the frenzy over "silicone implants" that brought down Dow Corning, bank rupting that corporation? And yet there is no hard science what so ever that silicone implants has caused statisticly casused any more sickness in women than in women without implants. It is all hysteria.

It could be the same with lead crystal. I am going to buy a kit to check my crystal for lead just to know. But I can't trust the American media to be right or even truthfull about most stories. They love to scare people, it gets them ratings.

And most every report I read say that it "MAY" be a problem. Because they really don't know yet.

What I see right now, is a feeding frenzy of fear.

It kind of reminds me of the rumors of devil cults sacrificing children. If you watched daytime TV in the eighties, you would believe it was happening. But an extensive FBI team researched every claim they could find and guess what? No devil cults sacrificing babies. It was all a myth.

Beware of people trying to play on your fears.

Wolf
Old 09-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

do you mean like crying wolf?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeeg View Post
I want to put rum in it. You would think stores could not sell it if it would make you sick.
totally true!!