"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Granite Cleaner and Polish Not Food Safe

Exactly. Other than a cemetery, where else would you use granite other than the kitchen counters?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Master Chef

@ Dawg...

I sure wish the OP would come back and tell us what brand this stuff is. After all, they deserve some bad publicity!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
Executive Chef

If your granite is sealed and it should be if it is a kitchen counter. It requires no special cleaner or polishes. This was information imparted to me by the very reputable folks we purchased our granite from. I clean mine with water and polish with a soft flannel cloth. There are different grades of granite and likely different grades of sealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #14
Sous Chef

The Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's what I do too, although I think it's bunk that the product has no warnings about it's food safety. BTW.......what's the name of the product?
Weiman GRANITE cleaner and polish.

I also use their leather product.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Description and Safety Data From Their Website

http://weiman.com/Weiman/files/a0/a0...5ba3e9f5b4.pdf

Granite Cleaner & Polish Spra
Granite Cleaner & Polish Spray
Granite and stone surface countertops add natural beauty and luster to any room; however, maintaining them requires special attention and care. It’s important to use specially formulated products to ensure your countertop remains shiny, smooth and beautiful over time.
When used regularly, Weiman® Granite Cleaner & Polish cleans, brightens and shines granite, marble, stone surfaces and all countertops including Corian® and Formica®. Weiman Granite Cleaner & Polish safely removes grease, grime and surface stains while visibly reducing surface scratches. It reverses dullness, revealing natural colors and veining.

* Kosher Certified
y

Granite and stone surface countertops add natural beauty and luster to any room; however, maintaining them requires special attention and care. It’s important to use specially formulated products to ensure your countertop remains shiny, smooth and beautiful over time.
When used regularly, Weiman® Granite Cleaner & Polish cleans, brightens and shines granite, marble, stone surfaces and all countertops including Corian® and Formica®. Weiman Granite Cleaner & Polish safely removes grease, grime and surface stains while visibly reducing surface scratches. It reverses dullness, revealing natural colors and veining.

* Kosher Certified
The only caution on the product is to avoid contact with eyes.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Having taught a course at our local community college that covers hazardous material handling, I am aware that companies can avoid publishing the ingredients of a substance by claiming it as a trade secret. The HAZCOM standard is described here. It is a tad convoluted as most government documents are and you will need to scroll down the page a bit to find paragraph i, which outlines the trade secret provision. Paragraph i also details the method for health professionals and emergency workers to obtain the ingredients.
The thing that worries me more is that the SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for this product refers to the WHMIS, which is Canada's version of the HAZCOM standard (as opposed to OSHA in the US).
The company claims to be based in Illinois, so I am uncertain why they would follow a Canadian standard.
In any event, if you have concerns about this or any other product, I would recommend that you find an alternative solution to using this product. Yes, it will require a little research.
Personally, I would not use this product, given the crooked path they have taken about the components of their products.
Mind you, this is just MHO.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Do you put food directly onto any surface you've used cleaning products on?

I always wipe down any surfaces that I prepare food on when I've used cleaners. Don't want my food to taste of, or be contaminated by, petrochemicals, bleach or other nasties. My granite worktop saver responds well to a hot damp cloth wrung out in diluted washing up liquid followed by a wipe over with a clean damp cloth. "Still shiny after all these years" to misquote Mr Simon.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Exactly. Other than a cemetery, where else would you use granite other than the kitchen counters?
Coffee tables, bathroom surfaces, floors, ornaments, table lamps, fire surrounds. Probably more but I've other things on my mind.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I mentioned tooth paste as another polish that I on a regular basis. I can't remember ever reading the label to see if there's a warning to rinse since there's some little register working in my brain that says "Rinse now to make these teeth safe around food".

Some of the package labeling that corporations are expected to include, to safe guard users, has become mind boggling. Certainly a rock polishing agent should be considered not quite safe to clean a food prep surface. And why must a food work surface be polished on a daily basis? Certain times of the year when the sun is just right, the sun bounces off our granite creating a laser beam. It's shiny enough.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
http://weiman.com/Weiman/files/a0/a0...5ba3e9f5b4.pdf

Granite Cleaner & Polish Spra
Granite Cleaner & Polish Spray

* Kosher Certified
y

* Kosher Certified
The only caution on the product is to avoid contact with eyes.
Thanks for the info. I just went and looked under my sink and there it was, big as life. I use it a couple of times a year, no more than that.

For me, the only time food actually comes into direct contact with my counter is for preparing pizza dough, and naturally I clean it well first with soap and water before that.

I don't plan on throwing out my Welman's cleaner, but I sure appreciate the heads up on the product.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food