Granite Cleaner and Polish Not Food Safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I have been using a certain brand of granite cleaner and polish daily on my new granite counter and I got curious about it's ingredients. Since the bottle does not display any, I went to the website and it claimed they were "Proprietary" ingredients and to go to the MSDS (safety Sheet) for info. The sheet was quite scary in it's warnings. I emailed the customer relations asking about contact with food and was sent this response an got this response:
"Our product is not a food safe product. You will want to wash your countertops with soap and water before placing the food directly on the countertops."

What??? Were any of you aware of this or am I just ignorant?
Why bother with the ease of using it if I have to back over it with soap and water?

That is irresponsible in my mind. They have to know their product would be used in the kitchen at some time.

Is there no warning on the container?

If the product is marketed for kitchens then they should have some sort of warning on the label. If it is marketed for other locations it stands to reason the user should do some research.

I don't use driveway degreaser in the kitchen.

Is your granite sealed? If so, you should be able to clean it with hot water. It does attract soap scum, so it seems odd that you are instructed to wash it using soap after cleaning and polishing it--one step too many for my liking. I shied away from granite because of the maintenance. I opted for a custom-made ash butcher block counter top that I sealed with multiple coats of food-grade mineral oil. Super easy to maintain.

I use my homemade all-purpose cleaner on my granite counter tops - 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 lemon juice, 1/3 water in a spray bottle. Works great, perfectly food-safe.

Since you asked, I have to say I was not aware that I need to go to the internet to discover if granite polish is not food safe. Common sense tells me that I should consider any and all types of polish unsafe for food. I even consider that my tooth polish to be not food safe because I rinse after use making my teeth more food safe.
Since my kitchen is, in truth and reality, a work station, I don't polish my granite every day. The work areas get cleansed before and after food prep and that's shiny enough for me. It's worked here for over 19 years and I hope it continues for at least 19 more.

Since you asked, I have to say I was not aware that I need to go to the internet to discover if granite polish is not food safe. Common sense tells me that I should consider any and all types of polish unsafe for food. I even consider that my tooth polish to be not food safe because I rinse after use making my teeth more food safe.
Since my kitchen is, in truth and reality, a work station, I don't polish my granite every day. The work areas get cleansed before and after food prep and that's shiny enough for me. It's worked here for over 19 years and I hope it continues for at least 19 more.

+1. It's a hard stone, so it's plenty durable as long as it's sealed. I only polish it occasionally (read: a couple times a year) when I'm deep-cleaning.

+1. It's a hard stone, so it's plenty durable as long as it's sealed. I only polish it occasionally (read: a couple times a year) when I'm deep-cleaning.

That's what I do too, although I think it's bunk that the product has no warnings about it's food safety. BTW.......what's the name of the product?

Since you asked, I have to say I was not aware that I need to go to the internet to discover if granite polish is not food safe. Common sense tells me that I should consider any and all types of polish unsafe for food...

Common sense should also tell you that a company selling a product used on food preparation surfaces should either make a food safe product or attach a warning on the product container.

How often you clean/polish your work surface is irrelevant to this discussion.

Exactly. Other than a cemetery, where else would you use granite other than the kitchen counters?

If your granite is sealed and it should be if it is a kitchen counter. It requires no special cleaner or polishes. This was information imparted to me by the very reputable folks we purchased our granite from. I clean mine with water and polish with a soft flannel cloth. There are different grades of granite and likely different grades of sealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Description and Safety Data From Their Website

http://weiman.com/Weiman/files/a0/a00ff6d6-a98e-4c1f-a09a-c25ba3e9f5b4.pdf

Granite Cleaner & Polish Spra
Granite Cleaner & Polish Spray
Granite and stone surface countertops add natural beauty and luster to any room; however, maintaining them requires special attention and care. It’s important to use specially formulated products to ensure your countertop remains shiny, smooth and beautiful over time.
When used regularly, Weiman® Granite Cleaner & Polish cleans, brightens and shines granite, marble, stone surfaces and all countertops including Corian® and Formica®. Weiman Granite Cleaner & Polish safely removes grease, grime and surface stains while visibly reducing surface scratches. It reverses dullness, revealing natural colors and veining.

* Kosher Certified
y

Granite and stone surface countertops add natural beauty and luster to any room; however, maintaining them requires special attention and care. It’s important to use specially formulated products to ensure your countertop remains shiny, smooth and beautiful over time.
When used regularly, Weiman® Granite Cleaner & Polish cleans, brightens and shines granite, marble, stone surfaces and all countertops including Corian® and Formica®. Weiman Granite Cleaner & Polish safely removes grease, grime and surface stains while visibly reducing surface scratches. It reverses dullness, revealing natural colors and veining.

* Kosher Certified
The only caution on the product is to avoid contact with eyes.

Having taught a course at our local community college that covers hazardous material handling, I am aware that companies can avoid publishing the ingredients of a substance by claiming it as a trade secret. The HAZCOM standard is described here. It is a tad convoluted as most government documents are and you will need to scroll down the page a bit to find paragraph i, which outlines the trade secret provision. Paragraph i also details the method for health professionals and emergency workers to obtain the ingredients.
The thing that worries me more is that the SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for this product refers to the WHMIS, which is Canada's version of the HAZCOM standard (as opposed to OSHA in the US).
The company claims to be based in Illinois, so I am uncertain why they would follow a Canadian standard.
In any event, if you have concerns about this or any other product, I would recommend that you find an alternative solution to using this product. Yes, it will require a little research.
Personally, I would not use this product, given the crooked path they have taken about the components of their products.
Mind you, this is just MHO.

Do you put food directly onto any surface you've used cleaning products on?

I always wipe down any surfaces that I prepare food on when I've used cleaners. Don't want my food to taste of, or be contaminated by, petrochemicals, bleach or other nasties. My granite worktop saver responds well to a hot damp cloth wrung out in diluted washing up liquid followed by a wipe over with a clean damp cloth. "Still shiny after all these years" to misquote Mr Simon.

I mentioned tooth paste as another polish that I on a regular basis. I can't remember ever reading the label to see if there's a warning to rinse since there's some little register working in my brain that says "Rinse now to make these teeth safe around food".

Some of the package labeling that corporations are expected to include, to safe guard users, has become mind boggling. Certainly a rock polishing agent should be considered not quite safe to clean a food prep surface. And why must a food work surface be polished on a daily basis? Certain times of the year when the sun is just right, the sun bounces off our granite creating a laser beam. It's shiny enough.

http://weiman.com/Weiman/files/a0/a00ff6d6-a98e-4c1f-a09a-c25ba3e9f5b4.pdf

Granite Cleaner & Polish Spra
Granite Cleaner & Polish Spray

* Kosher Certified
y

* Kosher Certified
The only caution on the product is to avoid contact with eyes.

Thanks for the info. I just went and looked under my sink and there it was, big as life. I use it a couple of times a year, no more than that.

For me, the only time food actually comes into direct contact with my counter is for preparing pizza dough, and naturally I clean it well first with soap and water before that.

I don't plan on throwing out my Welman's cleaner, but I sure appreciate the heads up on the product.

Back
Top Bottom