Grease fire and water...WOW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I went to fire fighting school we watched (up close) a demo of dumping a cup of water into a oil fire. It left an impression.

The main reason those turkey deep-fryers they sell every November are SOOOO dangerous!!!!

don't you put out a grease fire with salt or baking soda?

That very Mythbusters was on last night. It was certainly food for thought!

don't you put out a grease fire with salt or baking soda?

Baking soda is best. Dave's mention of a pot lid is valid too. When I teach the babysitting course I emphasize NOT to toss water on a grease fire, I'd love to show that Mythbusters episode the next time. (note to self)

Alton Brown also demo'd the danger in his Thanksgiving Deep Fried Turkey episode. It was awesome!

I found a lil pet snack jar in the shape of a fire hydrant and I put baking soda in it and it sits near the stove. where i can grab the whole thing or just a hand full. I had to use it once when i forgot to shut the burner off before dumping french fries in the oil and they splattered all over and started a fire. had it out just as quick as it started. I learn when just starting to cook allway shut the heat off when pouring alchol and adding the food to your hot oil. once added and done spitting and sputtering turn the heat back on.
Fire started due to being in a hurry, "Haste Makes Waste"
the other thing to remember put your fire extinguisher or container of baking soda near cooking area not on or above the stove, as if there is a fire you have to be able to get to the items not reach through the fire for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom