Grocery Store Free Samples... sanitary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We must be special here because our attended samples always come in individual cups and can't be touched by anyone other than the attendee. She / he has to hand the cups to people, at least in Walmart, Lowes Foods, and Harris Teeter. The "unattended" are completely closed up and usually have toothpicks already in them or toothpicks are available through an enclosed dispenser.

I guess I'm lucky because I've not experienced what some of the rest of you have.

We must be special here because our attended samples always come in individual cups and can't be touched by anyone other than the attendee. She / he has to hand the cups to people, at least in Walmart, Lowes Foods, and Harris Teeter. The "unattended" are completely closed up and usually have toothpicks already in them or toothpicks are available through an enclosed dispenser.

I guess I'm lucky because I've not experienced what some of the rest of you have.
That is exactly how it is here too Callisto.

Yep, here too but only at Lowe's, Costco, Sam's Club etc. The attendant actually hands you the sample or stands there while you pick up a cup filled with something. I'm talking about the supermarket samples that are left on the deli counter, or on a table so you can sample as you walk by. The kid who triple dipped, did this with one of those plastic domes with the hole in it and you stick your hand in, pick up a cracker and dip it in the dip. I saw my friend "go through" several pieces of cheese to choose the right one. Geez. No thanks on that one.

My daughter worked for a number of years as an operations manager for a demo company who handled the demos in grocery stores, etc. All of the demo people are certified in food handling and they are subject to surprise inspections very regularly. That said, it's just like a restaurant in that it is real people preparing and handling your food. So I tend to sample based on the individual set-up. If the person doing the demo looks to be very careful and following safe food handling practices, I will sample. But I watch for a few minutes before hand just to make sure.

I tend to stay away from any of the samplings if it involves a product the server touches. Yes the server is wearing plastic gloves, but she also grabs other things with those same hands in between the food. Sanitary it is not IMO. I'm not that desperate for free food.

:cool:Mm you are right..

Back
Top Bottom