"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I've never worked in a kitchen that mandated the use of gloves. Even the garde manger guys, who's ingredients were mostly served raw, and handled heavily didn't wear them. Never really understood why. No one would consider working in a kitchen without a hat (even those of us lacking in the follicle department). It did turn me into an obsessive hand washer though. The sheer number of ingredients with the potential for cross contamination that a line cook works with on a daily basis is staggering.

The worst sanitation faux pas that I ever encountered was at a well known restaurant in Washington DC, still in business, that I'll spare and leave nameless. They made a new pot of chili on a daily basis, and added the leftovers of the pot from the day before....on a daily basis. There may well have been chili scraps that were older than me in that pot!

The same place was a union shop, and had some rules that were really contrary to good sanitation. In particular, you weren't allowed to clean your own station. You had to call someone over to do it, who's job description included cleaning. The only thing we were allowed to clean ourselves were our personal tools.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

My (pet) peeve in the area of sanitation is household cats on prep and dining surfaces. I have friends who shoo their cats off the counters and then use that counter to prepare food. The cat feet have been in litter boxes, cat mouths and on floors. I don't care how cute they are - this still grosses me waaay out.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

We have a friend whose cat jumps up on the counter too Janet, and they let her lick the butter right off the butter dish. OK maybe saying they "let" her do it is a bit strong, but they certainly do not react the way I would if I caught me cat doing that. the first thing I would do is toss the butter. I wish they did too
Old 02-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
My (pet) peeve in the area of sanitation is household cats on prep and dining surfaces. I have friends who shoo their cats off the counters and then use that counter to prepare food. The cat feet have been in litter boxes, cat mouths and on floors. I don't care how cute they are - this still grosses me waaay out.
I think you're my sister! And I'm an only child! But my dear SIL does let her cats roam on the table and the skinny one even has a water glass in the sink for kitty to drink from. They have a heated box on top of the table too. I complained about this enough to her so that she sanitizes the table before we sit down to eat at her table. Hmmm, maybe this is why we've gotten fewer dinner invites.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
We have a friend whose cat jumps up on the counter too Janet, and they let her lick the butter right off the butter dish. OK maybe saying they "let" her do it is a bit strong, but they certainly do not react the way I would if I caught me cat doing that. the first thing I would do is toss the butter. I wish they did too
Our house would send you running for the hills. No cats, but it isn't uncommon to see one of us holding our dinner plates down for the dogs to clean up any sauce or leftovers that may be left at the end of the meal...at least they eat after us, not the other way around!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
...it isn't uncommon to see one of us holding our dinner plates down for the dogs to clean up any sauce or leftovers that may be left at the end of the meal...at least they eat after us, not the other way around!
True story: Some elderly relatives have miniature dachshunds. They adore these dogs and set their mostly empty plates on the floor sometimes for dog cleanup. They are very clean folks but recently with failing eyesight have begun to have trouble distinguishing the dog-cleaned dishes that have been picked up and placed beside the sink for washing for people-cleaned dishes that are ready to put away. More than once I've pulled a plate down from the cabinet that has suspicious tongue sized smudges on it. Again... gross me out.

Now shall we discuss drinking from the container
Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Just like with children, it takes no effort to raise a savage, but it does take attention and willingness to raise a child, or a pet, to have manners.

My cat knows that if I caught him on a kitchen counter, I'd beat him within an inch of his life! So, he stays off of the counters and I love spoiling him rotten.

My dog (1 yr. old puppy) gets select table scraps... in HIS dish at HIS dinner time. He knows better than to bother me or any company while we're seated at the dinner table. It's only taken a little correction and cooperation from my guests for him to get the idea that "the adults" are to be left alone while eating.

Of course, the owner has to WANT a well behaved pet.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
I've never worked in a kitchen that mandated the use of gloves. Even the garde manger guys, who's ingredients were mostly served raw, and handled heavily didn't wear them. Never really understood why. No one would consider working in a kitchen without a hat (even those of us lacking in the follicle department). It did turn me into an obsessive hand washer though. The sheer number of ingredients with the potential for cross contamination that a line cook works with on a daily basis is staggering.

The worst sanitation faux pas that I ever encountered was at a well known restaurant in Washington DC, still in business, that I'll spare and leave nameless. They made a new pot of chili on a daily basis, and added the leftovers of the pot from the day before....on a daily basis. There may well have been chili scraps that were older than me in that pot!

The same place was a union shop, and had some rules that were really contrary to good sanitation. In particular, you weren't allowed to clean your own station. You had to call someone over to do it, who's job description included cleaning. The only thing we were allowed to clean ourselves were our personal tools.
i worked in a hewlett packard employee cafe. the lettuce was bleached always thought as you do. they bleached fries as well. the clam chowder was handled the way you described. the sauce was rinsed off and potatoes used over and over. also served rainbow lunch meat. i never ate anything but cheese burgers. lol