"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I have to ask, friend or "friend/lover"? I mean, seriously, if you are already kissing him/her then hands are the least of your worry.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
Head Chef

kadesma, I have no idea what a PD exchange is.

But yep, you gotta wash your hands all the time and if you are sick, don't cook for anyone else.

There are reasons folks will sneeze without a cold or cough without an underlying germ, but they are still tossing out resident bugs.

No kitchen is an operating room but there are certain steps we should take.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
kadesma, I have no idea what a PD exchange is.

But yep, you gotta wash your hands all the time and if you are sick, don't cook for anyone else.

There are reasons folks will sneeze without a cold or cough without an underlying germ, but they are still tossing out resident bugs.

No kitchen is an operating room but there are certain steps we should take.
Auntdot,
it is how I do my dialysis at home..

kadesma
Old 03-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post
Can someone direct me to some factual information or definitive statements about the need to and benefits of washing your hands after coughing into your hands while working with food at home?
You need a reference?

Put it this way, in a setting where food prep is being done for the 'public' coughing into the hands and then not washing would be grounds for immediate termination without hope of 'compensation'.

Arguing about it would get one labeled ... Idiot? Stupid? Beyond Hope?

This person must be really really good doing things not discussed in polite company. Or your married to'em.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
I've been cautious about washing my hands while growing up 'cause of my sinus allergies. But, I became more cautious about them when I worked at our small-town cafe. While there, I'd turn my head and cough or sneeze into my upper arm if I couldn't use my hands at the moment to cover my mouth & nose. I made sure I washed my hands after I coughed or sneezed into them. I'm still that way here at home or anywhere I go.

My mom sneezes over the food while cooking and it just drives me NUTS. I tell her about it whenever I see her do it. It's one of my pet-peeves. She also has to continue tasting her food with the same silverware. I used to do that before I worked at the cafe. I now taste food with clean silverware or, I put a little food onto a clean plate or bowl and eat that 'cause at least I can keep tasting with the same silverware. I only continue tasting with the same silverware if it's only for myself.

Clean hands is the way to help keep germs from spreading. This is the time of the year where the flu and all sorts of colds are going around.

BTW, I'll share a tip. When garage saling &/or shopping in thrift stores, keep a container of Wet Ones or a bottle of sanitizer in your car to use afterwards. I keep Wet Ones in my car and in my purse. My mom & I like shopping such places and we use them so much to keep from spreading germs. Then before we eat out for a meal or a snack, we wash our hands in the restrooms. I'm very careful about not using my hands to touch the door handle afterwards.

Darlene
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #16
Head Chef

after getting a cold christmas eve and then i get rid of the cold after a week but left with a cough still now just a little here and there. I am tried of coughing. Bend elbow is me. I am becoming a germ freak. I haven't gone to church in 2 mths as i did not want to be one coughing all the time and then give peace exchange to all and give cold also. I was gettin better the first part of February and was feeling pretty good so I attended my sisters 50th surprise bday party on feb 2nd at a club and for 2 week after that coughing up a lung and then having no voice. Now that I am up again, When I go to a store I take wet ones with me and wipe shopping carts handles off then when all done shopping when i get to my car I use another one for my hands. Lots of Lysol around the house. Its crazy the way people don't care about spreading thier germs.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #17
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
Oprah talked about germs one day last week. She had a lady doctor tested a clean-freak's house and the lady still had a lot of germs. Then she had a germ guy who also talked about cleaning for germs. I almost didn't watch the show when I found out about the topic but I felt I should know more about germs. I've seen & heard enough to know what I need to do in my house to help clean for germs.

Darlene
Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I am a freek whne it comes to stuff like this. I wash my hands like crazy all day long, and I never shake hands. When I cook, I wash my hands many times. I also never use the same knife for things etc. This is one reason I don't eat out. As a result, I am almost never sick.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenemt08 View Post
BTW, I'll share a tip. When garage saling &/or shopping in thrift stores, keep a container of Wet Ones or a bottle of sanitizer in your car to use afterwards. I keep Wet Ones in my car and in my purse. My mom & I like shopping such places and we use them so much to keep from spreading germs. Then before we eat out for a meal or a snack, we wash our hands in the restrooms. I'm very careful about not using my hands to touch the door handle afterwards.
A girl after my own heart! I bought a big commercial box of "wetnaps" that I packaged up in zip lock bags. I have them in my purse and all the cars. It's never a bad time to clean your hands!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post
Can someone direct me to some factual information or definitive statements about the need to and benefits of washing your hands after coughing into your hands while working with food at home?

My question comes as a result of an event (and subequent argument) last night with someone who was working with me at home preparing dinner. The other person coughed into their hands several times and just kept on working with the food. Parts of the subsequent discussion were (1) it was a dry cough and (2) we are around each other "exchanging germs" by virtue of our proximity all the time so this (not washing after coughing into the hands) wasn't going to expose us (me) to anything that we (I) were not already being exposed to.

I have done a bunch of internet searches this morning on "coughing" and "handwashing". I found a lot of generic information and information about working in a commercial/restaurant kithcen, but nothing that comes right out and says "when working with food at home, if you cough into your hands then you need to wash your hands before you do anything else."

Washing is what I think I always do and I don't think I'm acting like Felix Unger, Adrian Monk or a germophobe. (If I am, please feel free to let me know.)
Sounds like a classic debate with my uncle. I'll summarize it:

When talking, saliva is airborne and going onto whoever it is you're talking to. If you cough, a whole lot more saliva comes out as well as more bacteria. The mouth is no sanitary place and bacteria love it there. If you cough on your hands then handle food, it's direct contact.

As for the coughing vs talking, that is partially true. You are being exposed to the bacteria/germs while talking. However, when you cough, bacteria from part of the respiratory tract can come up and about. These bacteria will go onto the person/food but some can remain in the mouth, transferred while talking.

"Dry cough"? That's false. Talking and exhaling releases saliva. A cough is by no means an exception. Their mouth may feel dry to them (result from the hypothalamus, etc...) but there still is moisture there.

If you're ill, then there can be a whole lot more of bacteria/germs around that you transfer into the food.

Just as an added fact, if you knew or not, in university, I believe my first year, we made a colony of E.coli and used various cleaners/antibiotics on the cultures to see what would have the most effect on killing it. If memory serves (I'm not planning to sift through my various stacks of lab write-ups), liquid soap was one of the most effective at killing it.

I use this as an arguement with my uncle since E.coli is a) Well-known b) It's not the most pleasent (although there are many other bacteria and viruses far worse) and isn't something you'll have in your mouth unless you're ill.

Think about this scenario. You're at a cafetaria ordering something for lunch. The server is handling food wearing no gloves and scratches their butt then with the other hand blows their nose into it. After that, they ask you what you would want.

The above scenario may seem rather disgusting and it's meant to be. However, consider this:
You're spreading bacteria just like you are if you cough and handle food. If you're in the kitchen, you have liquid dishsoap, which is fairly effective. Or, simply use alcohol rubs. If you are really paranoid, wear a pair of latex gloves and have several with you as a back-up.