Hard boiled eggs - shelf life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Is there a shelf life for a hard boiled (cooked) egg that is kept refrigerated?
I had forgotten I made four (and ate two) for the giblet gravy that never got made last Saturday, due to the fact the chicken didn't come with any giblets :mad:. I saw them setting in a bowl last night in the back of the fridge and was going to make some eggs goldenrod today and use them up, which got me wondering how long a hard boiled egg is good for... I know there was a time bars would have them setting out at room temp along with swiss cheese, pepperoni and other "homemade" bar snacks. I'm guessing they must last a while.

Any ideas? Is there a way to even tell?

They are probably still okay. You may, perhaps, be the most refrigerator challenged person I know:chef:
Crack em open...if they smell like normal hard boiled eggs smell, go for it. My mother brought me two hard boiled eggs yesterday. She meant to eat them in the airport, of all places (someone really should sit her down and explain the idea behind convenience food). They traveled in two cars, and an airplane. I'm fairly sure my two will sit as long as yours have before someone decides to attend to them.

I'm pretty sure they're OK, too. I was just curious if there's a time limit associated with keeping them in the refrigerator and still having them be quality eggs.

The page I linked discusses cooked eggs...

"... hard cook them just as you would cook whole eggs in the shell, drain them well and refrigerate them in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 or 5 days. "

I must be missing it then. The page you linked discusses storing raw leftover whites and yolks. And I tried browsing the site, but can't find anything on storing hard boiled eggs.
Maybe you can copy and paste what you're reading in a PM if there's a copyright thing.

I must be missing it then. The page you linked discusses storing raw leftover whites and yolks. And I tried browsing the site, but can't find anything on storing hard boiled eggs.
Maybe you can copy and paste what you're reading in a PM if there's a copyright thing.

Read that whole section on raw eggs. It goes into hard cooked eggs. See my quote above.

Yes, I see that part, but they are talking about storing eggs that have been separated and cooking the yolks for storage in a container. I'm talking about an intact hard boiled egg left in its shell.
There must be a difference. Isn't there?

a bit of trivia.

salty snacks are often served in bars to make customers thirsty.

but, the reason for seeing hard boiled eggs offered in bars is to get around old laws (raines laws) that prohibited liquor from being sold in a saloon during certain hours and on sundays. hotels with restaurants were allowed to be open during those hours, so saloons got around it by obtaining a hotel license, then asking that their guests first order their "meal", then they could drink.
a hard boiled egg was advertised as a boneless chicken dinner.

I love hard boiled egg whites for breakfast with toast and a half an avocado. I also use HB eggs for salads. I make the entire carton at one time - I date the fresh carton then I keep them for 2 weeks in the fridge before boiling them.
Aftert hey're cooked I keep them for up to 5 days and they're fine. I'll bet you could keep them another day or two and they'll still be fine. When you crack it open and it's spoiled you will know, believe me.

Cool site, LC.
Thank you.
One week it is. And BTW, they were still good today. No noticeable difference in peeling them or the taste.

Back
Top Bottom