"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Master Chef

Have you ever made someone sick?

I'm curious. Nowadays there is so much going on about food safety, and I can't help but wonder if anyone here ever has?

I've been cooking for 30 years, give or take, and my mom has for, well, all eternity. My grandmothers were both pretty bad cooks, according to everyone, but I don't think they ever made someone sick. And they all had food practices that would apall us today.

The only people who have ever sickened because of my food were those who I told to avoid foods on the table that I pointed out as something they should not eat. That is to say, I tell someone I know is lactose intolerant not to eat the friggin' cheese, told my mom not to eat that dish because there were seeds in it, etc; and in each case had provided tons of other stuff equally as delicious for them to eat.

My mom never poisoned someone, even though she used to stuff the turkey the night before (something I'd never do in a million years). I go out of my way to be more sanitary, but I sometimes wonder if I'm being silly.

Are we paranoid? How many of you have actually made someone sick because of bad practices?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

It is next to impossible to know if any of us has ever made anyone sick. Food poisoning has many many symptoms, some as mild as a headache and the symptoms can start 2 days after you eat the food that causes it. Food poisoning can also only be diagnosed by a doctor who does the test to tell if you have food poisoning, so unless every person you have ever fed goes to the doctor for every little ach and pain they have ever had and gets tested then there is simply no way to know if you have ever made someone sick.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Not that I know of.
GB is right too.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I've gotten sick after eating at a lot of different places but I don't think it was the food - I think I have some kind of contrary condition that just hasn't been diagnosed. The last time was 2 weeks ago when I was taken by ems to the hospital after just finishing my breakfast at Cracker Barrel. I'm still waiting for my insurance to approve some diagnostics.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

After Christmas Dinner one year, all four of us shared the two bathrooms for a couple of hours until the Immodium D kicked in. I'm pretty sure it was food poisoning.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Head Chef

Not that I know of, but one can never be sure. How do you know, for example, that the package of chicken breasts you just picked up at the store weren't left on the loading dock overnight, unrefrigerated? Or maybe that bag of baby spinach you bought was contaminated with salmonella or e-coli? IMHO, people who insist that no one has ever gotten sick from their cooking either don't know what they're talking about or are simply engaging in wishful thinking.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Everymom

Made myself sick numerous times before I realized that pineapple and chicken do not mix well in my system. Have also made myself sick eating coleslaw that had been sitting out all night. Meh...you don't think so clearly at a wedding reception at about 2AM. Oops. I survived but there were moments I wanted to die.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
Honey Badger

Nobody has ever mentioned getting sick from something I made.
Maybe fear kept them from mentioning that.
I've had food poisoning from bad mayo.. Never prayed like that in my life!

Some might not know that they have a food allergy/ lactose intolerant.And mistake it as some mild form of food poisoning.
Some medications can't be taken with certain foods.Prilosec and grapefruit juice being one of them.

Munky.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I'm not aware of making anyone sick with my food. Not saying it didn't happen...

That said, I've made stir-fry dishes where I was trying a new chili paste/sauce and gone a little heavy handed...

Those are the kind of nights where I really wish we

- had a second bathroom
- didn't have the main bathroom right across the hall from our bedroom...

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Four of us were sick one night in college after a big spaghetti dinn.......never mind...it was the bourbon!

Like GB said...with symptoms that aren't always what we expect it's really hard to tell. I've had food poisoning many times. The worst was in Thailand. Never got far from the bathroom for 12 (yes 12) straight hours and after 4 hours it's simply not very pretty!!!! I couldn't turn over nor sit up by myself for 3 days because my stomach muscles were in knots and so sore.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote