"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
True enough. But it's a powerful throw that uses your own kinetic energy, to unbalance and throw your opponent. And when practiced, it's very quick and effective. And yeh, I know how to use it better than I know how to spell it. Another fun throw is, and this will probably be mispelled as well, Morotai Saynagi, or, shoulder throw. We usually practiced Epon Sayanagi in class though. It's more common.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
But, I'm a shorty. I was really pleased when I took Jiu Jitsu and found out that sometimes it's an advantage to be short. Those are my favourite throws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would rather follow the advice of every police department in the country. Don't resist, give them what they want and PRAY!
Those throws aren't to help you save your purse or whatever from a crook. Those throws are for when someone has already grabbed you or is trying to choke you.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
But, I'm a shorty. I was really pleased when I took Jiu Jitsu and found out that sometimes it's an advantage to be short. Those are my favourite throws.

Those throws aren't to help you save your purse or whatever from a crook. Those throws are for when someone has already grabbed you or is trying to choke you.
Maybe so, but the original question by the Chief was "can you take a loaded gun out of someone's hand when they are pointing it at you?" So my post still stands.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Maybe so, but the original question by the Chief was "can you take a loaded gun out of someone's hand when they are pointing it at you?" So my post still stands.
Well then, I think your reply should have been to that original post and not to the one that was only talking about Judo and Jiu Jitsu throws. It would have avoided confusion. I thought you were talking about the throws.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well then, I think your reply should have been to that original post and not to the one that was only talking about Judo and Jiu Jitsu throws. It would have avoided confusion. I thought you were talking about the throws.
Point well taken. Sorry for the confusion. My apology.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

And how did we get from the Heimlich Maneuver to tossing people around? We all have a knack for going off subject.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
And how did we get from the Heimlich Maneuver to tossing people around? We all have a knack for going off subject.
Yeh, this idea tickels this memory, which makes one think of an interesting turn, and hey that's shiny, but what about the cold winter we were having?

Yeh, I made a wrong turn in the conversation. Sorry to the op. I was thinking about things that could save you as well, just different things.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Yeh, this idea tickels this memory, which makes one think of an interesting turn, and hey that's shiny, but what about the cold winter we were having?

Yeh, I made a wrong turn in the conversation. Sorry to the op. I was thinking about things that could save you as well, just different things.

Chief you are not the only guilty person in this forum. I am probably the most guilty one here. Like you, one sight or thought leads to another. All of us at one time or another has hijacked a thread.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #18
Master Chef

Thank you for sharing the videos, princess. This should be mandatory training for teachers too, IMO. They sometimes cover a little bit in CPR/First Aid, but not enough.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you for sharing the videos, princess. This should be mandatory training for teachers too, IMO. They sometimes cover a little bit in CPR/First Aid, but not enough.
Cheryl when I lived in Tacoma, Seattle had a program in all of their firehouses Unles they were out on a call) whereby on weekday nights they held classes for CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver. The classes were always well attended. I don't know if they still have the classes, but it wouldn't hurt if every city or town were to implement this type of program even if scaled back somewhat like once a month or week.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Cheryl when I lived in Tacoma, Seattle had a program in all of their firehouses Unles they were out on a call) whereby on weekday nights they held classes for CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver. The classes were always well attended. I don't know if they still have the classes, but it wouldn't hurt if every city or town were to implement this type of program even if scaled back somewhat like once a month or week.
I mentioned where I work that we should all be given CPR/Heimlich maneuver training. I was told that we will not be given the training as it opens the company to law suits. It was in fact, discouraged. We all know, after all, that money is more important than is life. I need to get off of this soapbox before I get myself all riled up about the organization I work for.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote