Heimlich Maneuver - Need To Know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, thank you for posting those videos. I suspect that most of us have an idea of how to do it, but repeatedly looking at videos of how it is done helps keep it fresh. Most of us, luckily, will never need to know.

And if anyone ever pounds me on the back again while I am coughing I might just pop them one.

Got to love the practical sides You Tube offers besides rock n' roll and chillin' and grillin'. Thanks PF.

PF, thank you for posting those videos. I suspect that most of us have an idea of how to do it, but repeatedly looking at videos of how it is done helps keep it fresh. Most of us, luckily, will never need to know.

And if anyone ever pounds me on the back again while I am coughing I might just pop them one.

As a nurse I have to re-certify yearly, I have it hardwired. I don't think you can review it too many times and hopefully never need it.

I remember when Poo was old enough to attend first aid classes. He was 13 at the time. He learned the Heimlich Maneuver and what to do if someone was having a heart attack. He couldn't wait to come across someone who was in distress and he could use what he had learned. It was his first intense intro to medicine. And he loved it. He was hooked.

But this information is always good to know. Everyone should learn it in high school. :angel:

I remember when Poo was old enough to attend first aid classes. He was 13 at the time. He learned the Heimlich Maneuver and what to do if someone was having a heart attack. He couldn't wait to come across someone who was in distress and he could use what he had learned. It was his first intense intro to medicine. And he loved it. He was hooked.

But this information is always good to know. Everyone should learn it in high school. :angel:

Ah, but grasshoppah, can you take a loaded gun out of someone's hand when they are pointing it at you? 'Tis an easy thing to do. Hope I never have to, and you never have to either. But I do practice the technique. Judo is a good thing. My favorite throw is called Hariah Goshe. Look it up on YouTube. Many of the Judo throws are pretty amazing, and quite entertaining to watch.

Heimlich, I've reviewed and have had training. Resuscitation, well the rules have changed since my last training class. I need to get that under my belt again.

Last edited:
Ah, but grasshoppah, can you take a loaded gun out of someone's hand when they are pointing it at you? 'Tis an easy thing to do. Hope I never have to, and you never have to either. But I do practice the technique. Judo is a good thing. My favorite throw is called Hariah Goshe. Look it up on YouTube. Many of the Judo throws are pretty amazing, and quite entertaining to watch.

Heimlich, I've reviewed and have had training. Resuscitation, well the rules have changed since my last training class. I need to get that under my belt again.
I found it spelled, "Harai Goshi". That's one of those throws where being short doesn't give a person and advantage. ;)

I found it spelled, "Harai Goshi". That's one of those throws where being short doesn't give a person and advantage. ;)

True enough. But it's a powerful throw that uses your own kinetic energy, to unbalance and throw your opponent. And when practiced, it's very quick and effective. And yeh, I know how to use it better than I know how to spell it. Another fun throw is, and this will probably be mispelled as well, Morotai Saynagi, or, shoulder throw. We usually practiced Epon Sayanagi in class though. It's more common.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I guess either of those throws could be used to slam somebody and remove whatever is choking them.

True enough. But it's a powerful throw that uses your own kinetic energy, to unbalance and throw your opponent. And when practiced, it's very quick and effective. And yeh, I know how to use it better than I know how to spell it. Another fun throw is, and this will probably be mispelled as well, Morotai Saynagi, or, shoulder throw. We usually practiced Epon Sayanagi in class though. It's more common.

I would rather follow the advice of every police department in the country. Don't resist, give them what they want and PRAY! :angel:

But, I'm a shorty. I was really pleased when I took Jiu Jitsu and found out that sometimes it's an advantage to be short. Those are my favourite throws. ;)

I would rather follow the advice of every police department in the country. Don't resist, give them what they want and PRAY! :angel:
Those throws aren't to help you save your purse or whatever from a crook. Those throws are for when someone has already grabbed you or is trying to choke you.

But, I'm a shorty. I was really pleased when I took Jiu Jitsu and found out that sometimes it's an advantage to be short. Those are my favourite throws. ;)

Those throws aren't to help you save your purse or whatever from a crook. Those throws are for when someone has already grabbed you or is trying to choke you.

Maybe so, but the original question by the Chief was "can you take a loaded gun out of someone's hand when they are pointing it at you?" So my post still stands. :angel:

Maybe so, but the original question by the Chief was "can you take a loaded gun out of someone's hand when they are pointing it at you?" So my post still stands. :angel:
Well then, I think your reply should have been to that original post and not to the one that was only talking about Judo and Jiu Jitsu throws. It would have avoided confusion. I thought you were talking about the throws.

Well then, I think your reply should have been to that original post and not to the one that was only talking about Judo and Jiu Jitsu throws. It would have avoided confusion. I thought you were talking about the throws.

Point well taken. Sorry for the confusion. My apology. :angel:

And how did we get from the Heimlich Maneuver to tossing people around? We all have a knack for going off subject. :angel:

And how did we get from the Heimlich Maneuver to tossing people around? We all have a knack for going off subject. :angel:

Yeh, this idea tickels this memory, which makes one think of an interesting turn, and hey that's shiny, but what about the cold winter we were having?

Yeh, I made a wrong turn in the conversation. Sorry to the op. I was thinking about things that could save you as well, just different things.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yeh, this idea tickels this memory, which makes one think of an interesting turn, and hey that's shiny, but what about the cold winter we were having?

Yeh, I made a wrong turn in the conversation. Sorry to the op. I was thinking about things that could save you as well, just different things.

Chief you are not the only guilty person in this forum. I am probably the most guilty one here. Like you, one sight or thought leads to another. All of us at one time or another has hijacked a thread. :angel:

Thank you for sharing the videos, princess. This should be mandatory training for teachers too, IMO. They sometimes cover a little bit in CPR/First Aid, but not enough.

Thank you for sharing the videos, princess. This should be mandatory training for teachers too, IMO. They sometimes cover a little bit in CPR/First Aid, but not enough.

Cheryl when I lived in Tacoma, Seattle had a program in all of their firehouses Unles they were out on a call) whereby on weekday nights they held classes for CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver. The classes were always well attended. I don't know if they still have the classes, but it wouldn't hurt if every city or town were to implement this type of program even if scaled back somewhat like once a month or week. :angel:

Cheryl when I lived in Tacoma, Seattle had a program in all of their firehouses Unles they were out on a call) whereby on weekday nights they held classes for CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver. The classes were always well attended. I don't know if they still have the classes, but it wouldn't hurt if every city or town were to implement this type of program even if scaled back somewhat like once a month or week. :angel:

I mentioned where I work that we should all be given CPR/Heimlich maneuver training. I was told that we will not be given the training as it opens the company to law suits. It was in fact, discouraged. We all know, after all, that money is more important than is life. I need to get off of this soapbox before I get myself all riled up about the organization I work for.

Back
Top Bottom