"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
HELP! I have a BIG question!!!

Ok I think I may have made a big mistake!!! I had a ham bone(smoked boston butt) in the freezer, it had already been cooked so I just saved the bone for later use.
Heres why Im starting to wonder....I put the frozen bone in the crockpot with some dried beans, water and other ingredients......is that safe???? I read in some other threads that its a breeding ground for food poisoning!!! BUT it wasnt fresh, I had already cooked it. Help please, I dont want to poison my family

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I, personally don't think it will be an issue. It would have been better to defrost the bone first, but if the whole dish started cold , it should all come up to temperature together and not spend too much time in the danger zones.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Executive Chef

My mother always used a ham bone when she made lentil & or pea soups. The bone was refridgerated til all the good pieces of meat were gone 1-3 days. Then the bone was used.
I don't like either, so I've never used it myself, but no one eating it every got sick.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Head Chef

As long as everything comes up to full temperature you will be fine. Whenever I put something frozen in the crock I will cook on high for the first 1-2 hours and then low for the rest of the day (6-8 hours).
Old 07-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

why not just thaw it in the micro. a microwave oven has many uses besides popcorn.

i thaw shredded potatoes in micro, that way doesn't take forever in a skillet.

melt choco, and many many more.

babe
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsKat View Post
Ok I think I may have made a big mistake!!! I had a ham bone(smoked boston butt) in the freezer, it had already been cooked so I just saved the bone for later use.
Heres why Im starting to wonder....I put the frozen bone in the crockpot with some dried beans, water and other ingredients......is that safe???? I read in some other threads that its a breeding ground for food poisoning!!! BUT it wasnt fresh, I had already cooked it. Help please, I dont want to poison my family
Sounds safe to me. Remember, the food is not in the danger zone until it reaches 40 degrees, so the 2 hr clock doesn't start immediately. Water transfers heat much more efficiently than air, so this should heat up quickly anyway. As suggested above, maybe put it on hi for an hour or so. But that isn't critical.

In addition, since this is a cooked product from a past meal, the only pathogenic bacteria likely to be on it would have had to come from you or your family. This lowers the potential of contamination considerably.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I thaw my ham bones overnight then add to crock pot. If you are saving a ham bone from a whole ham leave a good amount of meat on the bone for more flavor. If it's frozen just put it on defrost in microwave.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanks everyone!

Im assuming it was okay because none of us are sick!!
Next time I will defrost the bone first, just to be the safest. I made red beans & rice and it was amazing!!!

Babymaker
Old 07-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Head Chef

Putting frozen or very cold food into a crock pot is what caused Rival to increase the temperatures of their slow cookers. Too many people were getting sick because frozen foods at a very low temperture take a long time to come up to the safe level. Unfortunately their crockpots now take only a short time to cook food and I find it annoying that I can't go away for 6 or 8 hours without my dinner being over cooked. I have 2 crockpots, one is 8 years old so I try to use that one when I have to be away for a long time. At any rate, try to defrost or heat food before putting into the crockpot. I don't take chances with stuff like that.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks DQ, I will definitely defrost next time....I guess I just had one of those "moments" when I started putting it all together!

Babymaker