"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
Master Chef

Sorry, Breezy - I wasn't trying to mislead anyone:

"The 2002 and 2008 Farm Bills amended the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946 to require retailers to notify their customers of the country of origin of muscle cut and ground meats including beef, veal, lamb, pork, chicken, and goat meat; wild and farm-raised fish and shellfish; perishable agricultural commodities (fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables); peanut, pecans, and macadamia nuts; and ginseng. On October 5, 2004, the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) published an interim final rule (IFR) for fish and shellfish (69 FR 59708) that went into effect on April 5, 2005. Legislation delayed the implementation of mandatory country of origin labeling (COOL) for all covered commodities except fish and shellfish until September 30, 2008. On August 1, 2008, AMS published an interim final rule for all remaining covered commodities (73 FR 45106). On January 15, 2009 AMS published a final rule for all covered commodities combined (74 FR 2658) which became effective on March 16, 2009" (USDA - AMS)

LOL - notice all the final rules, and interum final rules after the final rules, and the final final rules after the final and interum final rules?

The only "fresh" fish monger we have around here is at Central Market - they label where their fish if from. They also label where their fresh produce is from - they have since they opened.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for doing the research to clarify that, Michael.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i wouldn't eat anything that isn't usa or maybe canada processed. just would do without.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I went to our local Stop and Shop - a major supermarket in my
neighborhood - there was absolutely no origin labeling on any of
the fish they were selling - only on mussels.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
Master Chef

Mike - ask them. It's been a law since 2005. Trust me, or research it yourself. Even if they don't have the little signs on the fish in the fresh seafood case, it MUST be on packaged fish or they must provide it to you if asked - or they're breaking the law.

Even the tiniest little podunk markets here in rural VA had everything labeled in 2004 - before the April 2005 deadline. Even WALMART had everything labeled. Heck - WalMart even had every single size & type of shrimp labeled. And the WalMarts around here sell a LOT of shrimp. We have "Farmed from Thailand"; "Farmed in the U.S."; "Wild Caught U.S. Gulf"; "Wild Caught Pink Maine"; "Frozen from China" - the list is virtually endless. But everything IS labeled. And if, for some reason, the little label tag is missing, the folks behind the counter have the info right at hand. Even the numerous large Asian markets around here have to provide country of origin.

And all the prepackaged seafood as the country of origin right on the preprinted label. I frequently buy U.S. farmed catfish that way (pretty much the only fish I'll buy plastic wrapped because of the high turnover around here) if I'm shopping after hours.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Enforcement falls into whose jurisdiction ....Federal (USDA) or State ?????????

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Master Chef

Uncle Bob - I believe it's still Federal (USDA). I could be wrong, but I try to stay on top of these things since I use a LOT of seafood on a weekly basis.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I would think federal too, but I also know "policing" the law would stretch the already stretched to the limit Federal Inspectors...I would "think" States would have to be involved to some degree...I'll find out next week what my State is doing....In my area it ain't happening for the most part...Packaged products? Yes...Bulk (Un-packaged) fin fish, shell fish, meats? No!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Master Chef

Thanks Bob - & please post what you find out. I'll be very interested to know. Around here, they're VERY diligent about seafood labeling. Even the plastic-wrapped goods. And, as I stated earlier, have been for years. And when, for some reason a label is missing, the seafood counter folks have been happy to show me the origin label behind the counter.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Here in Japan everything is clearly marked. When you go to the supermarket to buy produce, for example, it's stated exactly where it's from domestically or the country it comes from. I don't buy canned good, so I'm not sure, but dry goods are clearly marked.

Even though Tokyo is one of the biggest metropolises in the world many people still buy their daily food at farmers markets, which are becoming more and more popular here. Myself, if it's not fresh, I don't buy it.