Homemade Chicken Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anni

Senior Cook
Roast chicken one day, make chicken salad the next. How long would you be comfortable keeping this?

4-5 days in an airtight container - I do it all the time. Keep in mind, though, that I'm frequently considered a bit "avant garde" by some of the food safety folks on here - lol!!

4-5 days in an airtight container - I do it all the time. Keep in mind, though, that I'm frequently considered a bit "avant garde" by some of the food safety folks on here - lol!!

I'm going with Breezy. I don't know how long it will keep but I've kept if for 4 days and it's still good. I have always eaten it before the fifth day. :)

I'm going with Breezy. I don't know how long it will keep but I've kept if for 4 days and it's still good. I have always eaten it before the fifth day. :)

Thanks. As a fairly recent empty nester that isn't used to many leftovers, I sometimes wonder. Don't want to kill off my husband....quite yet. :-p

I use boneless skinless breasts and dice them up, saute in Italian dressing, cool it off then mix in mayo and what ever else. I keep the chicken frozen in packs of 1,2,and 3, just grab the size I need. I try not to have leftovers of stuff that wont keep and this is a simple fast recepie

Three to four days from when you roast it would be my max, but I usually don't have much left after two or three. I like to make a curried couscous salad (chix, couscous, dried apricots or currants, chick peas, celery, onion, water chestnuts, granny smith apples, peanuts, mayo with curry powder & apricot jam). I also like chicken salad with granny smith apples, celery, onion, toasted almonds with mayo & celery salt. Now I am craving chicken salad. I am making the NY Times bread tomorrow (the dough is resting now) & because of this thread, I think I'm going to make a chicken salad sandwich for lunch tomorrow, thanks for the idea! :cool:

This is not really a safety issue if properly prepared and stored. It is more of a quality issue. Quality issues involve aesthetics and emotional responses to food.

If it tastes and smells good to you, and you have employed good prep and storage practices, then it is a matter of personal preference how long you keep it. It will last longer at 33 degrees than at 40 degrees, generally.

It's probably not the best way to do it but I normally keep my left overs no longer then a week regardless if they smell or not

Back
Top Bottom