"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #31
Everymom

How do you dissolve oxygen? And why would cold water have more than hot water?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Wen you boil water, the dissolved oxygen is what makes the bubbles. It's also why boiled water doesn;t taste as good as unboiled water.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Wen you boil water, the dissolved oxygen is what makes the bubbles. It's also why boiled water doesn;t taste as good as unboiled water.
Andy, if that were accurate, I think the bubbles would stop rather quickly as there isn't that much dissolved oxygen in water.

If I recall correctly from high school chemistry, the bubbles are formed by vaporized water -- steam -- escaping from the liquid.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #34
Everymom

OK...apparently dissolved oxygen is really just microscopic bubbles in the water. Its what fish breathe. Cool. I also found out that the colder the water is the more oxygen can be dissolved in it. Very cool. Learn something new every day. I did not however find out anything about oxygen making water taste better. Here is one link I found with interesting info.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK...apparently dissolved oxygen is really just microscopic bubbles in the water. Its what fish breathe. Cool. I also found out that the colder the water is the more oxygen can be dissolved in it. Very cool. Learn something new every day. I did not however find out anything about oxygen making water taste better. Here is one link I found with interesting info.
hello cold, unboiled water tastes better because after it boils all the oxygen is gone and it has a flat taste. i also think water that sits for awhile after coming out of the tap tastes flat. i only drink tap water during the winter when it comes out ice cold.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

My mother and grandmother always / (did) the same thing. My mother said it had something to due with sediment, but the lead pipe thing was probably the reason behind it way back when.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #37
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
hello cold, unboiled water tastes better because after it boils all the oxygen is gone and it has a flat taste. i also think water that sits for awhile after coming out of the tap tastes flat. i only drink tap water during the winter when it comes out ice cold.
I'm not sure what to reply to this msmofet, did you think I said something about the taste of the water? My questions were actually about how to "dissolve" oxygen. And as I found out, the oxygen is not dissolved at all.

You would truly hate my water. I have a distiller and I only drink distilled water. IMO, water should not have a "taste". I think making tea or coffee with tap water tastes nasty too, but then I'm a bit of a water snob I think.

We've totally hijacked this thread now. SORRY!!!! Back to talking about who was right in the first place. Hey Mary A Tart, I think you are likely right about the lead pipe thing with your gramma.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #38
Master Chef

There are some nasty little microbes that thrive in your hot water heater....................................
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
i was commenting on your comment in bold above. i think the oxygen in the water makes it taste better. i don't like to buy bottled water because the regulations on it are so slack. one brand is bottled with tap water from the same source as my water from the tap. i use cold water to boil.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #40
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i was commenting on your comment in bold above. i think the oxygen in the water makes it taste better. i don't like to buy bottled water because the regulations on it are so slack. one brand is bottled with tap water from the same source as my water from the tap. i use cold water to boil.
The comment you bolded was in response to the previous comment by someone saying oxygen made it taste better. I believe it was Andy M who made the comment about the taste of oxygen. I was doing research on MY question, and reporting that there was nothing in my research that indicated anything about oxygen and taste. Do you have some research to share? Or is it just anecdotal evidence you are sharing?