"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Barcolene

This is in reply to Andy M., way up top, who had asked, in May of 2014, about the availability of Barcolene.

Back in the 1980's, I lived in Massachusetts, too - on the Cape - where I was a gardener/all-around-handyman. We would often have to clean vacation homes before the client came for the Summer and, doing that, I was introduced to Barcolene by the man who had been mentoring me. He'd been using it for decades and swore by it.

I found it to be a great all-round cleaner and its added attraction was its low price compared to the Big Names. I used to buy my supplies at Stop'n'Shop and they always had it in stock.

The thing is: I'd recently purchased a bottle of liquid Spic'n'Span and found that it didn't smell as pleasantly as the boxed, powdered Spic'n'Span I used to use. It got me wondering whether the original was still available and so I Googled it and found confusing results. With my mind wandering, Barcolene came to mind and so I Googled that, too, and found your post in this Forum.

From what I could gather on-line, Barcolene is no longer made - and neither is the old and excellent Spic'n'Span - or so I think, anyway. As I said, it was confusing.

From Googling, I learned that Barcolene had first been on sale in July of 1939. Also, it appears that their Trademark had been cancelled in 1991 or 2.

Sorry I couldn't give you the help you needed, Andy M., but I'm glad that you remembered what was once a great and inexpensive product.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Getting back up is the problem!
Oh how well I know that. One time I had to call 911 because I couldn't get up on my own. Even using the furniture was no help.

My legs are just plain short. I am lucky I can still walk around my apartment.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Krud Kutter!! It's by far the best cleaner I've ever found and I buy it by the gallon at Home Depot. Really remarkable stuff..and the perfect name!

Krud Kutter 1-gal. Original Concentrated Cleaner/Degreaser-KK01/6 at The Home Depot
I have pre-finished wood floors. Would it work on them?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
I have an idea that this may be a cultural reaction from your British co-workers. "Servants" have never been the norm here. Some people here have "live in help", "cleaning ladies", or "maids" but to my knowledge they've never had the British equivalent of servants.

They were just jealous you had a cleaning lady, and they didn't.
Of course people have servants in America. How do you think the White House is run? I don't expect Mrs Obama gets the vacuum cleaner out every morning. They just don't call them servants.

One set of my great grandparents on my mother's side were servants from a long line of servants. He was either the butler or the valet to Earl Ferrers (off-hand I can't remember which) and she was the housekeeper here -
http://www.stauntonharoldestate.co.uk/

They later went on to run hotels and employed servants of their own to work in the hotels. What's wrong with being a servant if you are treated with respect as they were? Obviously, if you were a maid of all work skivvying for a family who didn't know how servants should be treated it was a different story.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLuck View Post
This is in reply to Andy M., way up top, who had asked, in May of 2014, about the availability of Barcolene.

Back in the 1980's, I lived in Massachusetts, too - on the Cape - where I was a gardener/all-around-handyman. We would often have to clean vacation homes before the client came for the Summer and, doing that, I was introduced to Barcolene by the man who had been mentoring me. He'd been using it for decades and swore by it.

I found it to be a great all-round cleaner and its added attraction was its low price compared to the Big Names. I used to buy my supplies at Stop'n'Shop and they always had it in stock.

The thing is: I'd recently purchased a bottle of liquid Spic'n'Span and found that it didn't smell as pleasantly as the boxed, powdered Spic'n'Span I used to use. It got me wondering whether the original was still available and so I Googled it and found confusing results. With my mind wandering, Barcolene came to mind and so I Googled that, too, and found your post in this Forum.

From what I could gather on-line, Barcolene is no longer made - and neither is the old and excellent Spic'n'Span - or so I think, anyway. As I said, it was confusing.

From Googling, I learned that Barcolene had first been on sale in July of 1939. Also, it appears that their Trademark had been cancelled in 1991 or 2.

Sorry I couldn't give you the help you needed, Andy M., but I'm glad that you remembered what was once a great and inexpensive product.
Has the product changed it's name? I have been hunting for a particular product for the cough the horse has got due to dusty straw. Couldn't find it anywhere until am email to the manufacturers received a reply that they still made it but had changed it's name!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
It would most certainly clean them lyndalou, but I can't find anything about using it on pre-finished wood floors.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Of course people have servants in America. How do you think the White House is run? I don't expect Mrs Obama gets the vacuum cleaner out every morning. They just don't call them servants.

One set of my great grandparents on my mother's side were servants from a long line of servants. He was either the butler or the valet to Earl Ferrers (off-hand I can't remember which) and she was the housekeeper here -

They later went on to run hotels and employed servants of their own to work in the hotels. What's wrong with being a servant if you are treated with respect as they were? Obviously, if you were a maid of all work skivvying for a family who didn't know how servants should be treated it was a different story.
I think its just semantics. I see a "servant" as someone who works mostly for board and room, usually in a subservient position - the classic servant role. Today, most people in that line of work are paid employees. They may also get room and board as part of the deal, and in many cases that is a huge perk, but here they would be taxed on that as income, just like any other employee.

I'm certainly not denigrating the position. While we were both still working, we had a housekeeper, not live in, but who came in one day a week to keep things shipshape. She was not a servant, she was an independent contractor.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
I have an idea that this may be a cultural reaction from your British co-workers. "Servants" have never been the norm here. Some people here have "live in help", "cleaning ladies", or "maids" but to my knowledge they've never had the British equivalent of servants.

They were just jealous you had a cleaning lady, and they didn't.
Quote:

Staunton Harold Hall

That's exactly what I said MC. The White House staff members are not called servents. There's no right or wrong to the terms.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think this is the difference - we've never had "long lines of servants," as in inherited jobs, just as we've never had royalty, nobility or peasants.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I'd use a wood floor cleaner to avoid damaging it with something that's too strong.