"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #21
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Tucson
Posts: 1
Barcolene

This is in reply to Andy M., way up top, who had asked, in May of 2014, about the availability of Barcolene.

Back in the 1980's, I lived in Massachusetts, too - on the Cape - where I was a gardener/all-around-handyman. We would often have to clean vacation homes before the client came for the Summer and, doing that, I was introduced to Barcolene by the man who had been mentoring me. He'd been using it for decades and swore by it.

I found it to be a great all-round cleaner and its added attraction was its low price compared to the Big Names. I used to buy my supplies at Stop'n'Shop and they always had it in stock.

The thing is: I'd recently purchased a bottle of liquid Spic'n'Span and found that it didn't smell as pleasantly as the boxed, powdered Spic'n'Span I used to use. It got me wondering whether the original was still available and so I Googled it and found confusing results. With my mind wandering, Barcolene came to mind and so I Googled that, too, and found your post in this Forum.

From what I could gather on-line, Barcolene is no longer made - and neither is the old and excellent Spic'n'Span - or so I think, anyway. As I said, it was confusing.

From Googling, I learned that Barcolene had first been on sale in July of 1939. Also, it appears that their Trademark had been cancelled in 1991 or 2.

Sorry I couldn't give you the help you needed, Andy M., but I'm glad that you remembered what was once a great and inexpensive product.
__________________

__________________
HappyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Getting back up is the problem!
Oh how well I know that. One time I had to call 911 because I couldn't get up on my own. Even using the furniture was no help.

My legs are just plain short. I am lucky I can still walk around my apartment.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Krud Kutter!! It's by far the best cleaner I've ever found and I buy it by the gallon at Home Depot. Really remarkable stuff..and the perfect name!

Krud Kutter 1-gal. Original Concentrated Cleaner/Degreaser-KK01/6 at The Home Depot
I have pre-finished wood floors. Would it work on them?
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I have an idea that this may be a cultural reaction from your British co-workers. "Servants" have never been the norm here. Some people here have "live in help", "cleaning ladies", or "maids" but to my knowledge they've never had the British equivalent of servants.

They were just jealous you had a cleaning lady, and they didn't.
Of course people have servants in America. How do you think the White House is run? I don't expect Mrs Obama gets the vacuum cleaner out every morning. They just don't call them servants.

One set of my great grandparents on my mother's side were servants from a long line of servants. He was either the butler or the valet to Earl Ferrers (off-hand I can't remember which) and she was the housekeeper here -
http://www.stauntonharoldestate.co.uk/

They later went on to run hotels and employed servants of their own to work in the hotels. What's wrong with being a servant if you are treated with respect as they were? Obviously, if you were a maid of all work skivvying for a family who didn't know how servants should be treated it was a different story.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLuck View Post
This is in reply to Andy M., way up top, who had asked, in May of 2014, about the availability of Barcolene.

Back in the 1980's, I lived in Massachusetts, too - on the Cape - where I was a gardener/all-around-handyman. We would often have to clean vacation homes before the client came for the Summer and, doing that, I was introduced to Barcolene by the man who had been mentoring me. He'd been using it for decades and swore by it.

I found it to be a great all-round cleaner and its added attraction was its low price compared to the Big Names. I used to buy my supplies at Stop'n'Shop and they always had it in stock.

The thing is: I'd recently purchased a bottle of liquid Spic'n'Span and found that it didn't smell as pleasantly as the boxed, powdered Spic'n'Span I used to use. It got me wondering whether the original was still available and so I Googled it and found confusing results. With my mind wandering, Barcolene came to mind and so I Googled that, too, and found your post in this Forum.

From what I could gather on-line, Barcolene is no longer made - and neither is the old and excellent Spic'n'Span - or so I think, anyway. As I said, it was confusing.

From Googling, I learned that Barcolene had first been on sale in July of 1939. Also, it appears that their Trademark had been cancelled in 1991 or 2.

Sorry I couldn't give you the help you needed, Andy M., but I'm glad that you remembered what was once a great and inexpensive product.
Has the product changed it's name? I have been hunting for a particular product for the cough the horse has got due to dusty straw. Couldn't find it anywhere until am email to the manufacturers received a reply that they still made it but had changed it's name!
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I have pre-finished wood floors. Would it work on them?
It would most certainly clean them lyndalou, but I can't find anything about using it on pre-finished wood floors.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #27
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Of course people have servants in America. How do you think the White House is run? I don't expect Mrs Obama gets the vacuum cleaner out every morning. They just don't call them servants.

One set of my great grandparents on my mother's side were servants from a long line of servants. He was either the butler or the valet to Earl Ferrers (off-hand I can't remember which) and she was the housekeeper here -
http://www.stauntonharoldestate.co.uk/

They later went on to run hotels and employed servants of their own to work in the hotels. What's wrong with being a servant if you are treated with respect as they were? Obviously, if you were a maid of all work skivvying for a family who didn't know how servants should be treated it was a different story.
I think its just semantics. I see a "servant" as someone who works mostly for board and room, usually in a subservient position - the classic servant role. Today, most people in that line of work are paid employees. They may also get room and board as part of the deal, and in many cases that is a huge perk, but here they would be taxed on that as income, just like any other employee.

I'm certainly not denigrating the position. While we were both still working, we had a housekeeper, not live in, but who came in one day a week to keep things shipshape. She was not a servant, she was an independent contractor.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I have an idea that this may be a cultural reaction from your British co-workers. "Servants" have never been the norm here. Some people here have "live in help", "cleaning ladies", or "maids" but to my knowledge they've never had the British equivalent of servants.

They were just jealous you had a cleaning lady, and they didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Of course people have servants in America. How do you think the White House is run? I don't expect Mrs Obama gets the vacuum cleaner out every morning. They just don't call them servants.

One set of my great grandparents on my mother's side were servants from a long line of servants. He was either the butler or the valet to Earl Ferrers (off-hand I can't remember which) and she was the housekeeper here -
Staunton Harold Hall

They later went on to run hotels and employed servants of their own to work in the hotels. What's wrong with being a servant if you are treated with respect as they were? Obviously, if you were a maid of all work skivvying for a family who didn't know how servants should be treated it was a different story.
That's exactly what I said MC. The White House staff members are not called servents. There's no right or wrong to the terms.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
One set of my great grandparents on my mother's side were servants from a long line of servants. He was either the butler or the valet to Earl Ferrers (off-hand I can't remember which) and she was the housekeeper here -
http://www.stauntonharoldestate.co.uk/
I think this is the difference - we've never had "long lines of servants," as in inherited jobs, just as we've never had royalty, nobility or peasants.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I have pre-finished wood floors. Would it work on them?
I'd use a wood floor cleaner to avoid damaging it with something that's too strong.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.