"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Head Chef

I agree with Cw. Bring up the subject in a non-threatening moment. "What do you think about this whole cross-contamination talk on the Food Network, you know how they wash their hands after handling chicken and such?" But don't be surprised if you hear a discourse on the ridiculous food police tactics she feels are taking over the world. At least you will know that you have done what you could to stem the tide. After that about all you can do is pick and choose the meals you eat with her carefully.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Some peolpe just naturally "fear the flame", while others need to burn things down to learn lessons the hard way. I am of the former. I grew up being scared out of my pants of botulism, worms & samonella poising, along w/ how unproperly rinsed dishes could result(thanks to my father who took a cooking class, then came home & told the fam. how dangerous simple things were). Then, mad cow disease exploded, along w/Jack-in-the Box e-coli deaths, & tainted spinach af all things.
I understand that this gal is your friend, &, I am not promoting you to just preach to her, but, honestly, unless someone is properly taught WHY kitchen safety is so important, well, I would sincerely consider her quite ignorant. Maybe you could try to educate her as others have already suggested. I honestly believe that she has no idea as to how serious her habits are. Teach her...in a very KIND way.
PS - in the mean time...I would just pretend to be very "full" when she presents a dish to taste. *winks*

Old 04-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
I grew up being scared out of my pants of botulism,
Blimey O'Reilly Merl the Girl why did I not meet you when young free and single, no need for flowers and a meal on the first date just a Petri Dish.
Ps to in responce to the first poster I would ask if she had homeowners insurance if she does what the heck
Denny Crane.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Blimey O'Reilly Merl the Girl why did I not meet you when young free and single, no need for flowers and a meal on the first date just a Petri Dish.
Ps to in responce to the first poster I would ask if she had homeowners insurance if she does what the heck
Denny Crane.
HA HA HA!!! *wipes tears from weeping so much*!!! A Petri dish!!! LOL LOL!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Cook

Thank you so much everyone! I'm glad you all are well in tuned with how serious it can be. I sometimes felt like I was on an island. I'm going to talk to her during the next get together. Anyone here wanna join us? I can use all the help I can get ;)
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Show her this post. tell her you were seeking advice on how communicate something and not hurt her feelings or offend.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
Cook

btw Spork, I love the line "Don't give advice unless asked; always feel free to give opinion". I'm going to have to borrow it sometime!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

If she's really your good friend you should just tell her directly cause it's benefits for her and she must appreciate you although she don't accept your opinion. Actually and advise will influence the action of one person. Just told her those are bad habits. I promise she will not blame you.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Here's what I've done in similar situations. Find an opportunity for you and your friend to sit down and have several drinks together. Then tell her. It will probably go one of two ways. Either she will be responsive to your critique, in which case your job is done, or she will get defensive. In that case you can simply say "Sorry, I didn't mean to criticize. Perhaps I had a little too much to drink."

Either way, you've put her on notice that others are observing her bad habits.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Show her this post. tell her you were seeking advice on how communicate something and not hurt her feelings or offend.
I think that's the best advice yet. How could she possibly be upset/offended/defensive when you cared so much about her safety, and the safety of her friends and family?
Good luck, and I know all of us would love to know the outcome.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food