How long can freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice be held?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I would like to squeeze lemon and lime juice for making mixed drinks and I have two questions:

1 / How long can these juices be held, and still taste good?

2 / How long can these juices be held, and still be safe for consumption?

Thanks.

Thy should keep for a week or two I would think. You certainly could freeze them in an ice cube tray and bag them for later use.

I'd probably give 2 weeks, rather than one, but then I have really cold refrigerator. You can boil the juice, and then there is the freezing thing as stated above.

I don't think that lemon juice when squeezed out can be held for more than a day. It would not taste good after that. It contains citric acid and i dont think ti can be preserved for too long. It can taste good until a day or two at a max.

I agree that freshly squeezed lemon juice should be consumed within 1-2 days. I like buying the frozen "Minute Maid, Pink Lemonade Frozen Concentrated", it tastes good, fresh and stays in the fridge not less than 5 days.

Store in sealed glass container and you'll get three days in the fridge... If they're blended drinks I'd freeze them too... then a couple weeks if sealed well. Add a touch of sugar if you're keeping it for two or three days at the ready. Don't store in plastic or metal - just glass.

I would like to squeeze lemon and lime juice for making mixed drinks and I have two questions:

1 / How long can these juices be held, and still taste good?

2 / How long can these juices be held, and still be safe for consumption?

Thanks.

I usually use them on the spot...but they would last a week or two due to the acidity of the juice..
You could also freeze them.

Tell you what, i am about to make a casr of lemons into juice, i'll let you know how long it lasted and how it tasted in about 3-4 weeks or so, That is when I am planing to use it.

Mmmh got confused it too before but when i read this
Lime (Citrus aurantifolia) is a citrus tree with a fruit that contains a very high level of vitamin C. British sailors were issued a daily allowance of lemons or limes to prevent scurvy, giving them the nickname Limey.

Limes are small roundish bright green fruit with a pungent flavour. However, if they stay on the tree for a long time they turn yellow and resemble a small roundish lemon. Lime juice is used in cooking and in soft drinks, cocktails and limeade (like lemonade). Some like to eat them as fruits, as did the Limeys. Lime extracts and essential oils are frequently used in perfumes, cleansing products, and for aromatherapy. __________________
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Henny Youngman

http://www.travelectory.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
The juices will keep, refrigerated in glass, for quite some time, and even longer if frozen, but be reminded that the vitamin C benefits will dissipate within a matter of days.

This doesn't keep the juice from being useful for mixed drinks, baking or cooking. It doesn't lose its acidity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom