How long can homemade salad dressing be stored?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I would like to start making my own salad dressings but don't want to make it every night. I'm wondering how long I can store homemade dressings? They would be simple oil/vinegar type dressings (not mayo/creamy types), in a container in the fridge of course.

Also would the answer change at all if there were herbs/vegetables such as minced garlic/onion in the dressing?

Thanks

They'll keep for a week or so, including those with garlic, etc. You can use them as marinades and dip seasonings if you want to use them up. I've made Argentinian chimichurri steak sauce that has parsley, garlic and red-wine vinegar in it and it keeps for at least a week.

Last edited:
Depending on how much vinegar you use in your dressing, they will keep for a few weeks. I often make up a pint of dressing at a time, and add crushed garlic and herbs. I've kept them for three weeks without any problem, and I would guess that they could last longer than that. A higher percentage of vinegar will keep things fresher longer, since it lowers the pH and helps inhibit spoilage.

If you use only dried garlic and herbs, I bet it could last months.

Back
Top Bottom