How long does canned pumpkin keep in fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
How long can I keep an opened can of 100% pure pumpkin in the refrigerator before it goes bad? I'm guessing it will keep for about one week, correct? Is there a way to make it last longer?

The problem here is that I need to give pumpkin to my cat for health reasons. But she only gets a small spoonful per day. So by the end of one week I still have nearly a whole can of pumpkin left. I like pumpkin but not enough to make a dessert with it every week just to use up what's left before it goes bad.

I was thinking maybe I could divide up the pumpkin into small zip lock bags after opening the can. Then each week take one bag and put it in the refrigerator to use for that week. That way I could use the same can for a month or two. Would that be ok?

There should be a number you can call on the back of the can, Libby's anyway. I called it a few years ago and used to know..... I remember you are supposed to take it out of the can, like you are thinking of doing. And you can feeze it out of the can, which if you are going to divide it up, would be a great way for you to go. Then you can take it out of the feezer as needed.
That said, I've kept it in the can with a plastic lid on it for maybe 8-9 days and it seemed fine.

It is never good idea to leave food in an open can. Once a can is opened, it begins to oxidise, and you risk food poisoning. It is best to remove any unused food, and store in a non-metal container.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom