How long for jelly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Just cleaned out cupboards... WAAAYYYY in back were a few odd jars of pepper jellies and a cactus something like jam.....
No exp dates.
Chuck or ok? :ermm:

If the jars are still sealed and they "pop" when you open them they should be okay. Just check for mold and let your nose guide you before you taste them.

Really? I throw away everything..... until I found this place.
They are at least 4 years old.... same opinion?

Sugar is a preservative so if it look OK then it probably is.

Actually, it is our old friend water activity that makes jams and jellies safe. They have an Aw of about 8 with it low enough to prevent pathogen growth, but not quite low enough to retard all mold or yeast growth.

Sugar is a preservative in the general sense that it binds with the water molecules, thus reducing the "free water" available and necessary for pathogenic organisms to grow.

Sugar is a preservative in the general sense that it binds with the water molecules, thus reducing the "free water" available and necessary for pathogenic organisms to grow.

That is waaaaay over my head, but I've kept jellies in the fridge for a few years. ( they get hidden sometimes). If no mold, (and there hasn't been) we eat.

Just cleaned out cupboards... WAAAYYYY in back were a few odd jars of pepper jellies and a cactus something like jam.....
No exp dates.
Chuck or ok? :ermm:

Hi Suziquzie,

Jellies, as a form of preservation are pectin/acid/sugar gels and not to be confused with a jelly that you make up from a sachet/packet to use in a trifle (heaven forfend!) or serve with cream.

Given that the jelly to which you refer is a preserve, i.e., an item made to keep then there are two faults which you are likely to encounter:
a) mould on the surface - lack of boiling and poor potting!
b) sugar crystals forming on the surface - excess boiling of the mix.

If neither of these appear in your jelly, then it should be perfectly safe to keep/consume.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

If you are in doubt as to the safety of your four-year-old pepper jelly, I would be happy to test for you. Let me know the postage to 93023 and I will happily remit. ;) And have no fear for my safety, as I will cushion the effects of the jelly with toasted whole wheat sourdough bread and (unsalted) butter. I will also have an emergency-certified pot of coffee on hand.

Last edited:
If I bring the Ritz and a block of cream cheese, can we taste test it together? LOL! Local farmers markets can get up to $10/jar for a good homemade pepper jam!

If you are a tosser and unsure, go ahead and put it in the donation bag. A food pantry would be happy to make that decision for you. :)

That is waaaaay over my head, but I've kept jellies in the fridge for a few years. ( they get hidden sometimes). If no mold, (and there hasn't been) we eat.

Hi Loprraine,

There are two things that act as "natural" inhibitors to bacterial growth; the amount of free water available, and the PH (acid and base) of a product.

Sugar helps to bind up the free water that would normally allow bacterial growth.

It's simple!!!:LOL:

Ok so it sounds as if I would not be alone if I broke out the Ritz crackers and cream cheese at snacktime later!!!! :)
I'll try. If I don't come back online tomorrow, you'll know it was.........
THE JELLY!!!!!
:)

Back
Top Bottom