How Long is Peanut Oil Good For?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sigma Man

Assistant Cook
Last Christmas (a year ago) I cooked a turkey in a turkey fryer and then strained the peanut oil back into the container it came in. It has been kept in an outbuilding and has been exposed to the hot and cold weather. It is congealed (like grease does) but smells alright. Would it still be good to use again after this length of time?

Thanks

Sigma Man

I've kept cooking oil in my basement for half a year and it doesn't "congeal". Is that normal?
I'm with UB. Maybe use it to attract bears if you're so inclined.

DH keeps his strained, used peanut oil in the spare refrigerator out in his "barn". He suggests you buy new oil, as what you have is probably rancid.

Gosh, I am usually the person who says use it.

In this case, I demure. I would not use it - no way.

You can reuse oil for deep frying. But to me a year is pushing it.

And as I say I am usually the person who says I would use the stuff.

It congealed because, in addition to peanut oil, there is turkey fat in there. Peanut oil mght keep for a year in a cool dark environment, but turkey fat certainly would not. Get rid of it. In fact, treat it like it's hazardous waste, which is what it is.

It congealed because, in addition to peanut oil, there is turkey fat in there. Peanut oil mght keep for a year in a cool dark environment, but turkey fat certainly would not. Get rid of it. In fact, treat it like it's hazardous waste, which is what it is.

What about a mixture of peanut oil and turkey fat makes it a hazardous waste. It sounds like a harmless mixture to me.

Exposed to heat is a bad thing. It's almost certainly rancid and I'd be worried about bacteria, too.

Toss it. Peanut oil is cheap but your health isn't.

I would not re-use it after this long. I hate to waste food, but would hate more to poison my loved ones.

Back
Top Bottom