"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Food that needs to be refrigerated should not sit out for longer than 2 hours.
Hi GB:

Not sure I can totally agree with you here.

2 hours in the danger zone is correct for foods to be cooked immediately. Thinner foods will cook rapidly and thicker foods (roasts, fowl) will cook on the outside where the bacteria would normally be found quickly too, so additional time to reach 145 degrees is not really much of an issue.

Leftovers are another story. The first chance to contaminate leftovers is when you are serving the meal. If you wait 2 hours to place in the refrigerator, then it may take at least an hour or two to reach the 40 degree mark meaning you have been in the danger zone for 3-4 hours or more.

Very few food suffer from being put in the refrigerator too soon. As others have pointed out, making a habit of doing this upon completion of the meal minimizes later regret when you find the left over baby backs in the microwave the next morning.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. :)

The boy and I agreed to start putting leftovers in the fridge after dinner. He won't let them sit out for a couple hours any more. This being a big deal for him since he is still (5 months later) suffering from the effects of reactive arthritis brought on by food poisoning!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
If you wait 2 hours to place in the refrigerator, then it may take at least an hour or two to reach the 40 degree mark meaning you have been in the danger zone for 3-4 hours or more.
Good point. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
Head Chef

Our health book reads that after leaving a holding temp of 135 (that's now down from 140) that the temp should reach 70 within 2 hours, and 41 within 4 hours. Large amounts do have to be broken down into smaller quantities for this to happen. Hope this helps!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
I have been wondering this lately
Me too. My ServSafe book came in the mail today!!!! I might be able to answer you in a few weeks.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I let it sit in stages. After dinner, pretty much immediately, I transfer the leftovers into the container(s) as this removes the food from the metal that retains heat in the food longer than a cold container (usually of plastic). Then I let that sit for a while with the lid(s) off for say 30-60 mins. (And I leave in a prominent position so that I can't forget it!) When I put it in the fridge, I put the container(s) on a tea towel or cork board to stop the heat transferring along my glass shelves and possibly heating something else in the fridge.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I usually wait untill just before bed time, because that is when I have the free time to package it, but some things, like spaghetti suace or chili, I have left out overnight and refrigerated in the morning. Of course, my house remains pretty cool inside 24/7/365. If I lived in the Arizona desert without air conditioning, I'd probably stick it into the fridge imediately after dinner.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I usually wait untill just before bed time, because that is when I have the free time to package it, but some things, like spaghetti suace or chili, I have left out overnight and refrigerated in the morning. Of course, my house remains pretty cool inside 24/7/365. If I lived in the Arizona desert without air conditioning, I'd probably stick it into the fridge imediately after dinner. "Today could be the last day of the rest of your life"

Yeah, it really could with food handling practices like that
Old 04-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
I gave you a Karma on that one Mozart!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Be a wimp and refrigerate everything immediately.