"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Personally, for me, cooked potatoes (or any other cooked vegetable for that matter) properly stored in the fridge are perfectly fine after 4-5 days. Of course, I keep my fridge on the cold side - like in the 30's - so my leftovers most probably keep better than folks who keep theirs at warmer temps.

While I'm not saying that anyone should ever push the food safety envelope, at the same time I also seriously believe that one can also get a little too anal about stuff like this.
__________________

__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,575
yep, BC, I can identify with that comment.........esp. after living in a microbiologist's dreamworld known as Egypt............that's why they have drugs that do nothing but combat King Tut's Tushie revenge..... and they WorK!!! We have managed to find enough "mules" to bring us the intestinal disinfectant...... no prescription is needed..from Egypt and a German friend found a product in Germany that has the same active ingredient........once again no prescription needed.......so we're pretty well stocked now......so between common sense, and these disinfectants we're pretty safe in 3rd world countries........we take them whereever we travel, however
__________________

__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Sedagive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm curious what kind of cooked potatoes they are.
It "seems" to me that home fries or mashed might not last as long as baked and still in the skin, only because you probably have added other ingredients to the first two I mentioned.
I imagine I push the food envelope more than I should and there is no way even I would eat mashed potatoes that have been sitting in the fridge for five days.
They were peeled russets, sliced thin, than layered in a pyrex pie plate with melted butter, salt and pepper, baked in a 375 degree oven for one and a half hours so they got crunchy around the edges.

I heated them up last night and they tasted great with the meatloaf. Thanks everyone for the advice.
__________________
Sedagive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Thanks, Sedagive.
It was surprising to me it didn't seem to matter how they were cooked, that everyone was saying they'd be fine. I guess potatoes are pretty "fridge friendly" . That's good to know.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks, Sedagive.
It was surprising to me it didn't seem to matter how they were cooked, that everyone was saying they'd be fine. I guess potatoes are pretty "fridge friendly" . That's good to know.
Potatoes are one of those foods that keeps well in the fridge provided you haven't added milk, cream cheese or some other dairy product that could spoil sooner than the potatoes would have by themselves. I only keep baked potatoes then fry them for cottage fries or microzap and add sour cream, butter and chives just like the first time.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
school taught us 4 days fer keeping food.
__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedagive View Post
They were peeled russets, sliced thin, than layered in a pyrex pie plate with melted butter, salt and pepper, baked in a 375 degree oven for one and a half hours so they got crunchy around the edges.

I heated them up last night and they tasted great with the meatloaf. Thanks everyone for the advice.
You made Potatoes Anna!
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
fancy-smanchy!! pommes anna.
__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Potatoes are one of those foods that keeps well in the fridge provided you haven't added milk, cream cheese or some other dairy product that could spoil sooner than the potatoes would have by themselves. I only keep baked potatoes then fry them for cottage fries or microzap and add sour cream, butter and chives just like the first time.
Well, isn't butter considered a dairy product?
Or is it an exception because it can be kept at room temp?

That's kinda what I was getting at. Nobody seemed to care how the spuds were cooked before saying they'd be fine, but if it doesn't make a difference, I'd like to know. I've chucked plenty of mashed potatoes because I didn't think the milk, buuter, sour cream that I added would "let" the potatoes remain good past a couple days. Certainly not 4-5. They looked OK.....
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well, isn't butter considered a dairy product?
Or is it an exception because it can be kept at room temp?

That's kinda what I was getting at. Nobody seemed to care how the spuds were cooked before saying they'd be fine, but if it doesn't make a difference, I'd like to know. I've chucked plenty of mashed potatoes because I didn't think the milk, buuter, sour cream that I added would "let" the potatoes remain good past a couple days. Certainly not 4-5. They looked OK.....
Yes, of course butter is considered a dairy product. I only save baked potatoes for 4 or 5 days, but sometimes butter will keep also. If it spoiled it would smell. Dairy products that have turned can be detected right through the fridge door.
__________________

__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.