How long will cooked potatoes stay good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're pushing the "food safety" envelope ... but I've done the same thing and am still around to cause my children concerns about who will feed me and change my diapers in my old age ... but maybe they will not feed me old potatoes when they have to change my diapers???

I love baked potatoes but only eat half. I save the other half and sometimes I've kept them 4 or 5 days also. If it smells like a potato should smell, then go for it. I'm not one to play games with food safety but I don't think you will have problem with 4 day old potatoes. Dont' push it further or you could have problems.

I'm curious what kind of cooked potatoes they are.
It "seems" to me that home fries or mashed might not last as long as baked and still in the skin, only because you probably have added other ingredients to the first two I mentioned.
I imagine I push the food envelope more than I should and there is no way even I would eat mashed potatoes that have been sitting in the fridge for five days.

Personally, for me, cooked potatoes (or any other cooked vegetable for that matter) properly stored in the fridge are perfectly fine after 4-5 days. Of course, I keep my fridge on the cold side - like in the 30's - so my leftovers most probably keep better than folks who keep theirs at warmer temps.

While I'm not saying that anyone should ever push the food safety envelope, at the same time I also seriously believe that one can also get a little too anal about stuff like this.

yep, BC, I can identify with that comment.........esp. after living in a microbiologist's dreamworld known as Egypt............that's why they have drugs that do nothing but combat King Tut's Tushie revenge..... and they WorK!!! We have managed to find enough "mules" to bring us the intestinal disinfectant...... no prescription is needed..from Egypt and a German friend found a product in Germany that has the same active ingredient........once again no prescription needed.......so we're pretty well stocked now......so between common sense, and these disinfectants we're pretty safe in 3rd world countries........we take them whereever we travel, however

I'm curious what kind of cooked potatoes they are.
It "seems" to me that home fries or mashed might not last as long as baked and still in the skin, only because you probably have added other ingredients to the first two I mentioned.
I imagine I push the food envelope more than I should and there is no way even I would eat mashed potatoes that have been sitting in the fridge for five days.

They were peeled russets, sliced thin, than layered in a pyrex pie plate with melted butter, salt and pepper, baked in a 375 degree oven for one and a half hours so they got crunchy around the edges.

I heated them up last night and they tasted great with the meatloaf. Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

Thanks, Sedagive.
It was surprising to me it didn't seem to matter how they were cooked, that everyone was saying they'd be fine. I guess potatoes are pretty "fridge friendly" :). That's good to know.

Thanks, Sedagive.
It was surprising to me it didn't seem to matter how they were cooked, that everyone was saying they'd be fine. I guess potatoes are pretty "fridge friendly" :). That's good to know.

Potatoes are one of those foods that keeps well in the fridge provided you haven't added milk, cream cheese or some other dairy product that could spoil sooner than the potatoes would have by themselves. I only keep baked potatoes then fry them for cottage fries or microzap and add sour cream, butter and chives just like the first time.

They were peeled russets, sliced thin, than layered in a pyrex pie plate with melted butter, salt and pepper, baked in a 375 degree oven for one and a half hours so they got crunchy around the edges.

I heated them up last night and they tasted great with the meatloaf. Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

You made Potatoes Anna!

Potatoes are one of those foods that keeps well in the fridge provided you haven't added milk, cream cheese or some other dairy product that could spoil sooner than the potatoes would have by themselves. I only keep baked potatoes then fry them for cottage fries or microzap and add sour cream, butter and chives just like the first time.

Well, isn't butter considered a dairy product?
Or is it an exception because it can be kept at room temp?

That's kinda what I was getting at. Nobody seemed to care how the spuds were cooked before saying they'd be fine, but if it doesn't make a difference, I'd like to know. I've chucked plenty of mashed potatoes because I didn't think the milk, buuter, sour cream that I added would "let" the potatoes remain good past a couple days. Certainly not 4-5. They looked OK.....

Well, isn't butter considered a dairy product?
Or is it an exception because it can be kept at room temp?

That's kinda what I was getting at. Nobody seemed to care how the spuds were cooked before saying they'd be fine, but if it doesn't make a difference, I'd like to know. I've chucked plenty of mashed potatoes because I didn't think the milk, buuter, sour cream that I added would "let" the potatoes remain good past a couple days. Certainly not 4-5. They looked OK.....

Yes, of course butter is considered a dairy product. I only save baked potatoes for 4 or 5 days, but sometimes butter will keep also. If it spoiled it would smell. Dairy products that have turned can be detected right through the fridge door. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom