"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
I cannot be certain, but I think that is exactly happened to me once after I ate a chicken crepe (sounds gross and it was... why I ate it I do not know). I was throwing up for about 12 hours and then had diarrhea for about 3-4 days afterwards followed by another few days of stomach cramps. That was not pleasant at all. Could that have been salmonella?
Even I would have gone to the doctor then. Things like this should not go untreated, or at least checked.

As far as cooking meat, red inside doesn't mean it is bad. What about people who eat rare meat or uncooked altogeter. If meat is fresh it is not going to hurt you, if it is cooked proparly. If you relay on your termometer, then you better make sure your thermometer is a good one. Also it is mportant to learn how recognise food being done without thermometer. You need to be able to tell wisually if your foods are done. No matter what it is, meat, chicken or rice and noodles, for that matter.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #32
Master Chef

I got eColi in October. It can take a few days to surprise you. Mine showed up whern i was playing golf ....

Old 12-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I got eColi in October. It can take a few days to surprise you. Mine showed up whern i was playing golf ....
Blah! That's awful!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Do you know from what and how?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Even I would have gone to the doctor then. Things like this should not go untreated, or at least checked.
I did visit the doctor. He did not really think much of it... he just said to wait a couple days to see if it goes away (which it did). I did not think there really was any treatment for food poisoning except to just wait it out.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
I did visit the doctor. He did not really think much of it... he just said to wait a couple days to see if it goes away (which it did). I did not think there really was any treatment for food poisoning except to just wait it out.
In most cases, this is true and it will go away but it is the cases that have something a bit nastier than standard, as at least half a dozen of us can testify to, then early intervention can be the difference between life, death and life-altering illnesses. Even after my experiences, I would say give it one day, maybe two at the most and if you aren't feeling better towards the end of day two, you really need a blood test as a minimum. An increase in white blood cells will indicate that you have an infection. A decrease in your haemoglobin show anemia or something impacting on the reproduction of red blood cells. And so the test results go on. A stool sample will not produce any results for a couple of days while any bugs are grown but that should be done if it continues more than a couple of days.

The best treatment is to keep the fluid levels up as getting dehydrated is not good. Any unusual symptoms or prolonged symptoms should be investigated properly. Generally though your body will tell you if you are on the mend. Have faith in what your body tells you and once you've eaten the food, don't worry about it cos unless you intend to (if you'll excuse me saying) make yourself regurgitate the food, there isn't much you can do.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
fore?

talk about wanting to play through.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I made this tonight-

Molasses Pork Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce Recipe - Pork - MyRecipes.com

I seared on a skillet and cooked it at 375 for 20 mins (I had only one .80 lb. tenderloin instead of three). After letting it rest, I cut into it and it was still pink-ish, almost dark red in color. Should I be concerned? I was not sure if the ingredients could have darkened it a little bit or something. My thermometer said 155 when I took it out but maybe it was not in the thickest part of the meat. Do you think there is much risk?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Have you already eaten it? If so, think it becomes a "time will tell" situation!! I don't cook pork but I thought it wasn't meant to be less than medium-rare, preferably medium, and that is only in the stuff that is now deemed safe. If the pork is from an area where that is still not the case, then it was definitely undercooked. Pork cooking standards have only recently changed in Australia, but I am not sure what the standards for pork are where you are.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

i guess this will depend on how much content of the food you've eaten. There are times when, you eat too much not realizing that the food you had eaten is contaminated by food poisoning. Usually this just takes a few days. Sometimes, it vomiting occurs in less than 24 hours.