How to treat a cut finger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many years back, when I was but a lad of 26 years, I spilled gasoline on my right pant-leg. It flashed and burned for less than a minute. I took the pants off , turning them inside out to kill the flame, as stop, drop, & roll wasn't cutting it. I immediately headed for the house. We lived out in the sticks outside of Spokane Wa. at the time. Our house water came from a very cold spring. At my wife's suggestion, we filled the tub half full of the icy-cold water and I climbed in. I stayed in until the pain was too much to bear. I had entered the tub minutes after the burn.

When I climbed from the tub, I was introduced to the most pain I have ever felt in my life. The meds at the hospital didn't touch it. I lived with it for many months and bear the skin damage to this day, almost thirty years later. All I have to do is lightly bump that shin against something and it blisters and creates a sore. Then it scabs over and heals. But between the time of the bump, and the formation of the scab, it is tender, new skin, and hurts (not like the original burn of course, but rather like skinning an elbow).

If you ever spill a flammable liquid on yourself or your clothing, get it off immediately, no matter where you are. Years of pain are not worth the momentary embarassment. If you have to, buy a new pair of pants and go into the dressing room. Change them. You really can't imagine how painful a nasty 2nd degree burn really is.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
The reason I say NO ICE is because non-medical people have given themselves frostbite and lost a finger because of it. What happens in the hospital is being monitored by medical personnel. How many people remember that is was iced water in a trauma situation and not just ice and how long they were immersed?

I am very careful of sticking within the guidelines of what the emergency first aid guides say for lay people to do. I'm more apt to say go to the ER than give a definitive answer. Besides, I'm only licensed in the state of Montana to practice nursing.

Actually, after thinking more about it, my treatment and information is about 40 years old.

I have no doubt that better information is now available. Princess Fiona is up-to-date on the current treatment and is actively involved, licenced and employed in the medical field. I would suggest strongly that anyone with this problem go with her suggestions instead of mine.

What worked for me, then, may not be the best way to do it now. Four decades have passed since then.

omg, the horror!

gw in a gold lame' thong!!!

on fire!!!

well, i guess the latter is a given, once exposed.

Actually, after thinking more about it, my treatment and information is about 40 years old.

I have no doubt that better information is now available. Princess Fiona is up-to-date on the current treatment and is actively involved, licenced and employed in the medical field. I would suggest strongly that anyone with this problem go with her suggestions instead of mine.

What worked for me, then, may not be the best way to do it now. Four decades have passed since then.

Actually, my best suggestion is to go find all that information now, read it, learn it...BEFORE you need it. We should all know what to do in an emergency and stop asking strangers on the Internet while the blood is pouring or the skin is blistering...the child is choking...

PrincessFiona60 said:
Actually, my best suggestion is to go find all that information now, read it, learn it...BEFORE you need it. We should all know what to do in an emergency and stop asking strangers on the Internet while the blood is pouring or the skin is blistering...the child is choking...

Couldn't agree more, PF.

buckytom said:
omg, the horror!

gw in a gold lame' thong!!!

on fire!!!

well, i guess the latter is a given, once exposed.

Dad says you're a very bad adopted son and will be taken to the wood pile to pick a switch.

Btw, glad I'm not a visual thinker. Not an image of my dad that I want in my head. You should be glad of that too otherwise you'd be paying my resulting therapy bills.

I will never use plasters for cuts ever again, their evil things. I was chopping carrots and sliced the top off my finger, after a bit of a panic I calmed down and stuck a plaster on it to carry on cooking. After eating dinner I tried to take the plaster off but it had dried onto the cut and was stuck. I tried soaking it in water and peeling it off gradually but it was too painful so I just had to go for it.
I know it sounds pathetic but it was very painful. A few months later my brother did exactly the same thing and was in agony too, he is 6ft 5in and plays rugby!

It's just funny. When peeling potatoes Thanksgiving, I peeled my finger tip. Not an unusual occurence, but hubby came in and commented on blood in the food and took over while I staunched the blood and cleaned the peeled potatoes and took care of the "peeled" forefinger. No one was knowledgeable, but I do have a friend who made me one of my favorite canned condiments (confit de l'onion) and warned me that blood, sweat, and tears went into it; literally. OK, so we're cannibals!

I cut about 1/8th of an inch off the end my index finger on a bandsaw...blood everywhere and a not so bright office worker at the Junior High use Merthiolate to paint my finger...that hurt worse than cutting off the finger. Hopefully, liquid bandaid doesn't sting like that!

I cut about 1/8th of an inch off the end my index finger on a bandsaw...blood everywhere and a not so bright office worker at the Junior High use Merthiolate to paint my finger...that hurt worse than cutting off the finger. Hopefully, liquid bandaid doesn't sting like that!

Have you repeated this mistake?

See.. you learned your lesson. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom