"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #51
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I know! I'm looking for some Kuromi band aids...Choco Cat. I'd be freaked if I found FMA or Inuyasha.
I'd wear FMA or Inuyasha bandages. I'd also wear GI Joe, Voltron, Thundercats or Looney Toons bandages.
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #52
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cold tap water, NOT ice.
I once burned my arm badly when taking off a radiator cap. The boiling water shot up my coat sleeve, all the way to my armpit and down my left side.

It was a really serious burn. When I got to the Emergency Room, they put my entire arm and left side into a tub of ice water for an hour. The ice water hurt worse than the burn, but when they took me out of the water, all traces of the burn had literally disappeared.

I was astounded! The burn was actually gone without a trace!

I think this works only if the burn is treated very soon after the injury. Mine was treated about 30 minutes after the injury.
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,734
never open a tube of super glue with a stuck cap by biting down on the cap and turning the tube.

you end up picking chunks of glue out of your teeth for weeks.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #54
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
never open a tube of super glue with a stuck cap by biting down on the cap and turning the tube.

you end up picking chunks of glue out of your teeth for weeks.

I bet you ah.... heard that tip somewhere.... right?
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #55
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I once burned my arm badly when taking off a radiator cap. The boiling water shot up my coat sleeve, all the way to my armpit and down my left side.

It was a really serious burn. When I got to the Emergency Room, they put my entire arm and left side into a tub of ice water for an hour. The ice water hurt worse than the burn, but when they took me out of the water, all traces of the burn had literally disappeared.

I was astounded! The burn was actually gone without a trace!

I think this works only if the burn is treated very soon after the injury. Mine was treated about 30 minutes after the injury.

I've found that to be true as well. Even after you pull away from the source of heat that burned you, there is residual heat in your flesh that continues to burn (like resting your roast for 10 minutes before slicing). If I burn my self in the kitchen, I grab an ice cube or two and press it onto the burn area immediately to mitigate the severity of the burn.

I am a bit surprised that the ice will work after 30 minutes. That's good to know.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #56
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I once burned my arm badly when taking off a radiator cap. The boiling water shot up my coat sleeve, all the way to my armpit and down my left side.

It was a really serious burn. When I got to the Emergency Room, they put my entire arm and left side into a tub of ice water for an hour. The ice water hurt worse than the burn, but when they took me out of the water, all traces of the burn had literally disappeared.

I was astounded! The burn was actually gone without a trace!

I think this works only if the burn is treated very soon after the injury. Mine was treated about 30 minutes after the injury.
The reason I say NO ICE is because non-medical people have given themselves frostbite and lost a finger because of it. What happens in the hospital is being monitored by medical personnel. How many people remember that is was iced water in a trauma situation and not just ice and how long they were immersed?

I am very careful of sticking within the guidelines of what the emergency first aid guides say for lay people to do. I'm more apt to say go to the ER than give a definitive answer. Besides, I'm only licensed in the state of Montana to practice nursing.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #57
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The reason I say NO ICE is because non-medical people have given themselves frostbite and lost a finger because of it. What happens in the hospital is being monitored by medical personnel. How many people remember that is was iced water in a trauma situation and not just ice and how long they were immersed?

I am very careful of sticking within the guidelines of what the emergency first aid guides say for lay people to do. I'm more apt to say go to the ER than give a definitive answer. Besides, I'm only licensed in the state of Montana to practice nursing.
I think any severe burn should go to the hospital right away if at all possible. It's the type of injury that shouldn't be treated at home, even if it's a small area. Too many risks.

Quickly putting it in ice water or wrapped in a ice-water soaked towel while being transported to the ER is a good idea as long as the person doesn't live 2 hours from the hospital.

I agree with you PF...never put plain ice against a burn. It will immediately stick to the burned area and cause more problems than it helps. Ripping of the skin, frostbite...

The wound should be made cold, but not frozen. The point being to stop the cell damage, not to create more.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I bet you ah.... heard that tip somewhere.... right?
lol, yup. umm, pacanis told me.

thankfully, there's a layer of skin that peels away very easily inside your mouth and you'd never notice it gone.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Hey!...
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,734
ya see! no skin...
__________________

__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.