"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Senior Cook
bandonjan's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern coast of Oregon
Posts: 252
I too burned up a sauce pan. It had an aluminum core in steel and the aluminum was
liquid by the time I remembered I'd put water on to boil for pasta. I was on the computer and totally forgot about the water. Now I set a timer or flat don't get on the computer when I'm cooking!

bandonjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
Sous Chef
les's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London, England
Posts: 505
Cooking can be a dangerous pastime, if you leave the area. My son's friend came home one day, after shift work, set the chip fryer on, layed down on the sofa, waiting for the right temperature, promptly fell asleep! It was the smoke alarm that woke him up, thank goodness! Kitchen was ruined through smoke damage though, & his parents were not amused as they all had to move out for a year!
p.s. His job? Combi Chef!

les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Executive Chef
larry_stewart's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,517
Glad to hear that it wasnt anything more than a house full of smoke ( all though it may take awhile to get the smell out)

I had 2 incedents. The first is, I took a pot off a hot burner, shut it off, but didnt put anything back on top of it. That is when my cat, Phrank, jumped up onto the burner and burned his foot. Now, I always have a teapot filled with water to put on any burner I have just used so the cats, me and my family dont have a similar incedent.

The second incedent. I was at work and busy with a patient. The receptionist came to me and asked if i wanted to speak to my wife. I told him that unless the house was on fire, i dont because im busy. No more than 5 minutes later, I received another call from my wife. The receptionist said, doc, you have to answer this one, there is a fire in your kitchen !!!!! Me and my big mouth... Anyway, I got on the phone. It turns out that the night before we reheated some chinese food in the oven. the food was in those aluminum tins so we just threw the whole thing in to heat up, not realizing that the tin had a small hole in it and the grease dripped out all over the heating coil. Anyway, the next day, my wife preheated the oven,the grease caught fire and smoke was everywhere ( which is when she called me). I told her to grab the baking soda and throw it on, which she did and it extinguished the fire. the fire was contained to the oven so it wasnt a big deal. But , as mentioned above many times, the kitchen is a potentially dangerous place, and things should be checked, double checked and not taken for granted. I learned that almost the hard way.

*** the first phone call was just a ' what do u want for dinner' call. The fire hadnt started yet. It was just bizarre how minutes after i made my sarcastic comment, the fire started and i received the second call***

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Head Chef
sparrowgrass's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,820
I have been taking and teaching a lot of emergency management classes lately, and one thing we teach is (extremely basic) firefighting techniques.

Do you all have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen? How old is it? If it is more than 3 or 4 years old, you should replace it, because the powder in the bottom of the extinguisher cakes and becomes useless. The fire chief who was teaching that particular class said to take the old one outside and "practice" with it, so you will know what happens when you pull the pin and squeeze the handle.

If you have an emergency and you don't know how old the extinguisher is, you should bang it, REALLY HARD, on the floor or counter top before you pull the pin and start spraying at the base of the fire.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
Head Chef
letscook's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,957
I was busy in the house and had eggs on to cook for a potatoe salad and all of sudden heard this noise and my eggs were exploding in the kitchen, Yup they stuck to the ceiling, walls, stove, floor and the smell OMG It was awfull,

I now turn the eggs on and don't leave the kitchen or I set a timer and carry it with me. The minute the eggs come to a full boil - I shut the heat off and put a cover on the pan and let them sit there till cool to the touch. Perfect cooked eggs and not accidents.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Senior Cook
marigeorge's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: East Central Kansas
Posts: 499
I think most of us have had close calls........glad that it was only smoke and no flame.
marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Glorie's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 380
I'm glad you caught it in time!
If you ain't eatin' WHAM, you ain't eatin' HAM! - Gussie (aka Louise Beavers)
Glorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #18
Master Chef
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,970
Anyone who has cooked for many years has many similar stories to tell. I remember one that is second hand, that two of my younger sisters were in charge of dinner (I'd long since flown the nest). One sister panicked when the skillet flamed, and the younger (being at the time a pre-teen) ran into the kitchen and put out the fire immediately, while the elder panicked. Most of my life I've had a kitchen within sight of my entertaining areas. Now I live in an 1850s house, and I'm quite paranoid about stove safety. I wouldn't dream of having a gas stove, because I cannot imagine having a flame three rooms away. Oh, it doesn't really matter, because the gas company came and told me I cannot have gas in the back half of my hour without major expensive work on my gas lines anyway.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
Senior Cook
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by azfred View Post
I wanted to make a quick batch of egg salad to take to work for lunch, so I put the eggs on to boil and went and jumped in the shower, when I got out I heard a weird noise, smoke detector, I turned on the wrong burner and torched a good hard anodized non stick skillet, got to it just in time, there was grease in it and it was just about to go. filled the whole house with smoke and I was late to work. oh well, could have been allot worse
So, that will be a lesson learnt? perhaps?maybe?.

Check the cooker before jumping into the shower or, don`t leave the cooker on when taking a shower!

You were so lucky you didn`t burn the house down!

archiduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
Master Chef
Constance's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
I put some eggs on to boil one time, and then forgot about them. They boiled dry and then exploded all over the ceiling.
My dad was quite aggravated, as he had to re-paint the ceiling.


We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.