"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I almost burned up my kitchen

I wanted to make a quick batch of egg salad to take to work for lunch, so I put the eggs on to boil and went and jumped in the shower, when I got out I heard a weird noise, smoke detector, I turned on the wrong burner and torched a good hard anodized non stick skillet, got to it just in time, there was grease in it and it was just about to go. filled the whole house with smoke and I was late to work. oh well, could have been allot worse

Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I don't think people realize how dangerous kitchens can be. One time our girl had a friend over and DW let them cook pancakes. I told her that they should be supervised, but she was at that age that DW was giving her more independence.

Luckily we smelled the gas in time to shut the unlit stove off before our house exploded. DW decided that it would be a good idea to supervise the girls after that...

Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Cardinal rule in our house has always been, "never leave a stove unattended," especially in the case where sound is masked (as in the shower). Glad it didn't turn out to be an emergency. Scary to think if you'd been trapped in the shower.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
I don't think people realize how dangerous kitchens can be.
Agreed. But at least, as you said, it could have been worse and it wasn't.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Cook

very glad that this did not turn out to be a catastrophe! stoves can be scary things!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have two kids in the house that decided me telling them the stove was hot and could be dangerous was good enough for them.

The third one? She seems he** bent on finding out for herself!

So far I have successful in thwarting her efforts, like Katie I never leave it or her unattended or dyer consequences happen... like she comes out of the bedroom with all of moms make up on her and everything else in her proximity... Geez....
Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Head Chef

Good thing it wasn't any worse. Like Katie and Mav, I never leave the stove unattended. I also don't leave anything on the stove even if it's not on. My control knobs are on the front of my stove and a few times I have come into the kitchen and seen that the knobs were not in the off position, they weren't turned to the ignition point but It was kind of scary. The only thing I can figure is the dog must have put her feet up there to see what was on the stove. Years ago I had a similar mishap with turning on the wrong burner and I was lucky too.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Head Chef

Yes, I, too, learned not to leave a stove or oven unattended. I don't want to waste my efforts or risk a fire.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I am glad that it was not worse and you got to it in time. I have learned that I am getting more forgetful as I get older. I have ruined a good sauce pan because I walked into another room then got side tracked and forgot I had something on the stove. Now I do not leave the room unless I set a timer. I agree stoves should be attended but there are times one needs to just go get something from another room. And I now know that I can get sidetracked too easily.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
Master Chef

When I first married my second husband, I had an apartment size stove. The potatoes that were cooking on the back burner boiled over into the cast iron skillet full of frying chicken. The grease splattered, and I had flames three feet high on the stove.
In a very stupid move, I turned the pot of boiling potatoes over the burning skillet on the electric stove, and left it there while I turned everything off.

I guess I was very lucky, but my daddy really gave me a good talking to over that. He said I could have gotten electrocuted.