"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
Cook

Ew. That's one of the reasons I don't like to eat out at restaurants. You just never know...

Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
Head Chef

Too bad home kitchens are not inspected. At least with commercial eateries in the Los Angeles area have a rating system of cleanliness that is posted in the window.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I believe most of these cases are poor ownership/managers. What do you expect from an employee making $7.50 an hour? It is the owner and/or manager that are neglecting their responsibilities and should be accouintable for such things.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxdavid View Post
What do you expect from an employee making $7.50 an hour?
I expect them to be hygienic. Making $7.50 an hour is no excuse for poor hygiene in a restaurant. What makes you that that because they make so little they should be able to get away with stuff like this? I am not saying the managers/owners are not to blame too, but the fact that the employees earn very little is no excuse for their role in this.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I am not saying that the employee should not be responsible for the health and safety issues of their position, but management should be required to train about and enforce regulations and policies with ALL employees. I have worked in places (not food) that if an employee continually broke policy and was not effectively disciplined, the employee and the manager were both disciplined by upper management.
As a supervisor, my employees represent me, and it is up to me to set the level of excellence that I expect and will accept from them.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Management should be ON SITE regularly and have cleaning system in place. I remember on a show Jamie Oliver saying that in his restaurants they clean out the fridges daily: everything comes out, unit gets cleaned and everything that is useable goes back in. They do this daily. Most home cooks clean their refrigerators monthly. Also everything in a container gets dated and tossed after a couple of days. There is no reason a big chain can't have a similar program, nor a home cook doing this a couple times a week.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxdavid View Post
I am not saying that the employee should not be responsible for the health and safety issues of their position, but management should be required to train about and enforce regulations and policies with ALL employees. I have worked in places (not food) that if an employee continually broke policy and was not effectively disciplined, the employee and the manager were both disciplined by upper management.
As a supervisor, my employees represent me, and it is up to me to set the level of excellence that I expect and will accept from them.
I agree with everything you say here. The part I was questioning was where you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxdavid
What do you expect from an employee making $7.50 an hour?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #18
Head Chef

I would expect that if they are going to cash their paycheck, they ought to do their job. There's lots of folks out there with no job...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
The fact is that it has mostly to do with employees not washing their hands -- either correctly or at all. Most food-borne illness comes from human error, rather than tainted food. Altho even tho the chicken was "delivered fresh" it certainly possible that somewhere along the way it was not stored properly.

The case of the girl is truly tragic.

I, too, have eaten most "everything" in Mexico, and never gotten sick.
Spot on June. That is how I got kidney failure - someone just didn't wash their hands.

As to not eating out... well, a nurse said that to me while I was first in hospital. How stupid!! What did she think I was doing? Running down to the hospital kitchen to prepare my own meals? Doesn't matter where you are - hospital, restaurant, take away joint, family/friend's house - if someone fails to wash their hands properly, you are at their mercy. Sometimes, life is the luck of the draw.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Hey is your pic real?
Oh about the hygiene, well I rarely visit KFC, the reason being I don't like much of their food. However, I am very particular about cleaning and hygiene. I cannot have food at a place not hygiene enough.

cookingexp is offline   Reply With Quote