If you Don't do the cleaning - this can happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad buisness about that girl.
In NYC they now require restaurants to post the
last inspection report in their window.

I think that every restaurant is somehow in violation
of food safety laws - every day.

Mike: Displaying the last inspection report has been the law and custom for quite some time throughout California. Even that doesn't deter some miscreants from abusing the public trust. All you can do is use your good judgement, and hope. . . .

Well, here I am in a country that actually has no hygiene inspections that I am aware of, and we eat out quite often and in three years, I have never been sick, and DH has had food poisoning only once - from eating a hamburger at a VIPs restaurant in Vallarta (owned here by Walmart). Further, no one we know has been sick, either. Part of the issue is that the chickens and eggs are perhaps not already contaminated with salmonella and most of the food served in restaurants is locally grown, minimizing the number of handlers....and everywhere we go, people who work in restaurants (even the taco stands) seem scrupulously careful to handle the food safely and cleanly.

I hear you, Karen. I live in SoCal, and read about mass food poisoning all too frequently... mostly fast food places, and, sadly, schools. I used to drive down Baja to surf, and stop at every taqueria along the way...never a problem. I think it has to do with pressure on store managers to cut corners in order to save costs, and pressure by industry lobbyists to cut corners on processing inspections.

I hear you, Karen. I live in SoCal, and read about mass food poisoning all too frequently... mostly fast food places, and, sadly, schools. I used to drive down Baja to surf, and stop at every taqueria along the way...never a problem. I think it has to do with pressure on store managers to cut corners in order to save costs, and pressure by industry lobbyists to cut corners on processing inspections.

Since I rarely eat out I am not that concerned with the
cleanliness of kitchens.
There are surely some horror stories - but no-one I know
has ever been struck with food poisioning.
Karen - if you are reading - are you just South of
Puerto Vallarta i I spent some time in Barre De Navidad - South of you
some black volcanic sand beaches there.

mike in brooklyn said:
Karen - if you are reading - are you just South of
Puerto Vallarta i I spent some time in Barre De Navidad - South of you
some black volcanic sand beaches there.

Hi Mike - no, we are actually just north of Puerto Vallarta (12 km), still inside the Bay of Banderas. Our beaches are white...but I have friends who travel regularly to Barra de Navidad and love it there. The closest prime place for surfing here is Sayulita, which is just outside the bay, north of us.

The fact is that it has mostly to do with employees not washing their hands -- either correctly or at all. Most food-borne illness comes from human error, rather than tainted food. Altho even tho the chicken was "delivered fresh" it certainly possible that somewhere along the way it was not stored properly.

The case of the girl is truly tragic.

I, too, have eaten most "everything" in Mexico, and never gotten sick.

Too bad home kitchens are not inspected. At least with commercial eateries in the Los Angeles area have a rating system of cleanliness that is posted in the window.

I believe most of these cases are poor ownership/managers. What do you expect from an employee making $7.50 an hour? It is the owner and/or manager that are neglecting their responsibilities and should be accouintable for such things.

What do you expect from an employee making $7.50 an hour?
I expect them to be hygienic. Making $7.50 an hour is no excuse for poor hygiene in a restaurant. What makes you that that because they make so little they should be able to get away with stuff like this? I am not saying the managers/owners are not to blame too, but the fact that the employees earn very little is no excuse for their role in this.

I am not saying that the employee should not be responsible for the health and safety issues of their position, but management should be required to train about and enforce regulations and policies with ALL employees. I have worked in places (not food) that if an employee continually broke policy and was not effectively disciplined, the employee and the manager were both disciplined by upper management.
As a supervisor, my employees represent me, and it is up to me to set the level of excellence that I expect and will accept from them.

Management should be ON SITE regularly and have cleaning system in place. I remember on a show Jamie Oliver saying that in his restaurants they clean out the fridges daily: everything comes out, unit gets cleaned and everything that is useable goes back in. They do this daily. Most home cooks clean their refrigerators monthly. Also everything in a container gets dated and tossed after a couple of days. There is no reason a big chain can't have a similar program, nor a home cook doing this a couple times a week.

I am not saying that the employee should not be responsible for the health and safety issues of their position, but management should be required to train about and enforce regulations and policies with ALL employees. I have worked in places (not food) that if an employee continually broke policy and was not effectively disciplined, the employee and the manager were both disciplined by upper management.
As a supervisor, my employees represent me, and it is up to me to set the level of excellence that I expect and will accept from them.
I agree with everything you say here. The part I was questioning was where you said
ajaxdavid said:
What do you expect from an employee making $7.50 an hour?

I would expect that if they are going to cash their paycheck, they ought to do their job. There's lots of folks out there with no job...

The fact is that it has mostly to do with employees not washing their hands -- either correctly or at all. Most food-borne illness comes from human error, rather than tainted food. Altho even tho the chicken was "delivered fresh" it certainly possible that somewhere along the way it was not stored properly.

The case of the girl is truly tragic.

I, too, have eaten most "everything" in Mexico, and never gotten sick.
Spot on June. That is how I got kidney failure - someone just didn't wash their hands.

As to not eating out... well, a nurse said that to me while I was first in hospital. How stupid!! What did she think I was doing? Running down to the hospital kitchen to prepare my own meals? Doesn't matter where you are - hospital, restaurant, take away joint, family/friend's house - if someone fails to wash their hands properly, you are at their mercy. Sometimes, life is the luck of the draw.

Hey is your pic real?
Oh about the hygiene, well I rarely visit KFC, the reason being I don't like much of their food. However, I am very particular about cleaning and hygiene. I cannot have food at a place not hygiene enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom