Internal Turkey Breast Temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I am making a turkey breast for the first time today. I am using Barbara Kafka's high heat roasting method.

What is the correct temp the breast should hit? With chicken I look for 165. Is it the same for turkey?

Thanks Alix. That is what I was thinking, but I just was not positive.

My door is always open to you. You and your family have a standing invitation!!!

Remember to take it out of the oven at 155. As it will continue heating up the inside meat as it rests. And let that baby rest for at least ten minutes.

From experience, I can tell you that your choice of roasting technique is a good one. It mimicks the high temperatures achieved in a covered kettle barbecue. It will produce spectacular results.

If you are going to baste this bird breast (not a necessary thing to do), then use a good turkey broth. Basting deposits miniscule particles onto the skin where the liquid evaporates off and the flavor particles remain. It does nothing to make the meat more tender or flavorful. Rubbing the skin with butter before cooking also helps create a wonderful skin, as does lightly seasoning with S & P, and other herbs that you like. But I just use salt as my DW detests pepper.

You might also want to inject the breast with turkey broth that has had fresh mushrooms boiled in it. That gives the meat a wonderful flavor as well, beyond the already delicious turkey flavor.

Feel free to use or ignore these tips as you like. Just some food for thought, from a freind.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks goodweed. Yes I will certainly take the meat out before it hits 165 to account for carryover cooking and I will also let it rest for a while to let the juices redistribute. Very good pieces of advice.

Barbara Kafka does not recommend basting as she said that ends up just steaming the meat. That does not mean it will not have good results, just different. This time around I am going to not baste.

I put on my favorite dry rub this morning (I meant to do it last night, but forgot) so that will put in a ton of flavor.

I am excited to cook this thing. I love turkey.

GB, I am truly amazed. First time!! You're gonna love it!! We are white meat eaters so the only whole turkey we ever have is on T'giving. I never baste turkeys--just doesn't seem to be necessary.
Let us know about the high heat--now that is something I haven't done, and might not do with a breast (just me--it seems as if there might not be enough juices to take care of the high heat). I will really be interested. Thanks.

Actually Goodweed I am not remembering that this is my second time. There was one time a few years ago where my FIL went into the hospital. My wife and I went over MIL's house to help out. While the women went to the hospital I made dinner. MIL had a turkey breast that she wanted me to cook so that is what I made. I don't remember how I cooked it (I seem to remember celery seed) but I remember it came out well enough to choke down.

I will certainly let you know about the high heat. So far, Barbara Kafka has not let me down, but admittedly I have not made many of her recipes. Her technique made a lot of sense to me when she explained it in her book though so I have high hopes for this one.

165 is safe...and you may be tempted to remove it earlier, but I suggest not doing that. When I temp anything, I have to let it hold the temp for at least 15 seconds before I call it safe.
If you remove the turkey at 155 it may cook a few more degrees but it may not cook a full 10 degrees additional. You may not want to take that risk with poultry.

It is going into the oven around 5:30. I am making mashed potatoes as well. I found some compound butter in the freezer that is prob about 6 months old. Not sure exactly what is in it, but I think there is parsley, onion powder, garlic, and probably some other things. That will go into the potatoes. Next I will raid the freezer to see what veggies I have in there. I don't feel like going out to the store :)

Yeah Vera, I generally allow for 5 extra degrees from carry over cooking. I have been urned before by hoping for more. I will pull it out at 160 and let it sit for at least 15 minutes (uncovered). I will be using a probe thermometer so I will not need to wait for the temp to register.

Well come on by MB. Alix is on her way and my invitation extends to you as well forever.

Last weekend I made a turkey, though roasted in the oven, and heated it to about 175 and it was perfect. I didn't take the temp after it sat but just as I took it out. Mybe it did raise a little more butI thought it was great. Not too juicy, not too dry, just right. Good luck and I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Well the turkey was a success. It was amazingly juicy and tender. The only thing I would do different next time is I would not use the dry rub, or if I did I would take the time to put it under the skin. The rub got a bit too dark. It was a second and a half away from being burnt.

I also used my electric knife for the first time. I have had that thing for almost 4 years and never even took it out of the box. It worked like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom