"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 03-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I dont think much about it. Waiter, may I have a mad cow burger please, and some chicken nuggets infected with bird flu, and a nice chianti please?

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I'm not worried about it, no.

Then again, I'm not worried about lightning strikes, drunk drivers or other forms of auto wrecks waiting to happen, bird flu, falling off buildings, parachutes not opening, WMD's (*snicker*), shark attacks, electrocuting myself or any one of the other 4 million things I can encounter that makes me face the final dark.

Life ain't but too frickin' short to spend it worrying about how to prolong it. You worry about keeping it going and all you end up doing is not living while you try to keep alive.

To para-quote the prophet Henry Rollins...if some disease wants to eat me, it can eat me.

(Though on the topic of mad cow--Penn and Teller did a great bit on it during one of their episodes of BS on Showtime)

Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Senior Cook
I'm concerned about the fact that they don't ALLOW the companies to test every cow for BSE, especially after they have found that one mad cow that didn't look sick, and was only tested because it happened to walk in with the others. There's a documentary about it. I'm trying to find the name right now, I saw it about a year ago.

I mean, I know there's always some kind of scare and it gets old. But I just want the people who make my food to be allowed to TEST it before they sell it to me.

There's a new documentary about it coming out in a few days, called Whistleblower:
I don't know if it will be credible or not, but the first documentary was very good.
biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 AM   #14
Master Chef
I guess I'm in the majority here. Every day some new food scare comes out, and then gets turned over, then turned inside out. I just don't pay attention to them any more. I'm 50 years old, and I swear there were foods that were good for me as a child, became bad, then good again. I gave up on worrying that my food was going to kill me ages ago. After living in Florida for a few years, I learned that sooner or later you are not going to be able to enjoy food .... why rush it?
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #15
Senior Cook
I don't think about it I got enough problems with wot, school finance, health care, economy, partisan politicians. In fact I am not going to think about any of this stuff anymore and just enjoy my retirement. We get blasted with stuff on a daily basis enough to dirve us crazy.

I through venting
Run_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #16
Executive Chef
salt is bad, pepper doesn't digest, beef is mad, chicken is sick, pork is parasitic, fruits and veggies are tainted with pesticides, bread is fattening, alcohol is evil, fats are sure death, transfats even surer. I think I'll just revert to my childhood and make MUDPIES. Are they safe?? or will I get WORMS.

I buy quality products from people I trust. I try to eat fresh whenever possible. I follow safe handling practices and I am a good cook. If this kills me, (and it will for I am bound to die) oh well! Mount my Santuko on my grave stone.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
There is always a market for FEAR.

Just live your life, try not to delibarately hurt anyone, don't drink every cup of Kool-aid that comes along, and you should do OK.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote