"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Cook

Is anyone concerned about mad cow disease in the U.S.

Hello everyone,

JUST CURIOUS, what are your thoughts on the risk of POSSIBLY getting sick from eating beef infected with mad cow disease? (especially GROUND beef products) Has anyone here actually stopped eating any beef because of the risk of contracting this disease? I have been thinking about grinding my own beef so I know what parts went into it. Should the U.S. government require testing of more cattle? Are the Japanese prudent in refusing U.S. beef from entering their country? Does the FDA have the interests of the consumer in mind or the cattle industry? How do you folks outside the United States feel the U.S. government is handling this issue?

Old 03-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
Sous Chef

JUST CURIOUS, what are your thoughts on the risk of POSSIBLY getting sick from eating beef infected with mad cow disease?

They say that the only way BSE can be transmitted to humans is if we eat the spinal cord or brain tissue of the cow. That and the fact that as tough as our regulations are there is a very, very slim chance that an infected cow could get into the food chain. Another thing to consider, Bovine Spongeform Encepalitis (BSE) has probably been around for as long as there have been cows. It is only with the modern world-wide media who want to blow everything out of proportion on a slow news day that we have such worries about it.

Has anyone here actually stopped eating any beef because of the risk of contracting this disease?

I haven't nor do I think I would unless the testing process began letting infected animal slip onto the market.

I have been thinking about grinding my own beef so I know what parts went into it.

Unfortunantly they are putting the same things in it that you would, so if you trust your meat supplier enough to accept the material that you are going to grind, why not trust his professionalism enough to go ahead and let him grind it for you? Either way you go you would actually have a much higher probabibilty of contracting E-Coli than BSE.

Should the U.S. government require testing of more cattle?

There's really no reason since the testing they currently have has proven to be quite sufficent. If it works, don't fix it.

Are the Japanese prudent in refusing U.S. beef from entering their country?

Certainly, it's a logical step, just as we did when England had this problem.

Does the FDA have the interests of the consumer in mind or the cattle industry?

Both. It's a very delecate balance. You must be reasonable to both sides. Anything that hurts one will hurt the other.

All in all, BSE is almost pure media hype. Apart from inital over-reactions by the Brittish, there have been no "Major" outbreaks of BSE since it's discovery as far as I know. Far more people have contracted E-Coli from tainted meat than BSE, and getting E-Coli infected meat from the butcher is very rare. Most cases of E-Coli infection result from improper handling in the kitchen.

Don't worry about BSE, use safe handling techniques in the kitchen to prevent cross-contamination of E-Coli, and ignore the Bird Flu until it actually crosses over in Humans.

It's all just the Media being the Media. It's about as believeable as any Schwarzenegger film.

God Bless
~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
Sous Chef

very well put raven...and my thoughts exactly (especial about the medai on slow news days).

i do however grind my own chuck steak when i need ground beef...but thats more of a flavor thing than a saftey thing.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Head Chef

I think that it's wise to be very aware of what you eat. Slow news day or not, this is a real issue that people need to be aware of and to take into consideration. Chances are better that there's a lot more to this than we ever get to hear of.

The government and their safety goups have the well-heeled lobbiests in mind way more than they do consumers.

Things with ground up cow bits (i.e. gelatin, "broth" cubes, etc.) are the obvious and easiest things to avoid. Buy "organic" or grain-fed when possible, that way there is no chance that they were fed other animals, since the problem basically comes from animals eating other animals that are infected.

Zereh
Old 03-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Master Chef

Actually no. I don't think about it until someone mentions it or I see something about it in the paper.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
Master Chef

ah... we had this in Germany five years ago... I never stopped eating beef... why should I? I smoke, I drive, I walk out of the house and I even do the housework.
what do you consider to be the most likely way to get killed?

by the way, I love beef and I never got such cheap meat like during that time..

In Germany every cow older than 24months must be tested.. within the last six years they tested several million ones... and found about 200 infected ones....
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i thought mad cow disease was another name for pms?

(just kidding ladies. pm your complaints to gb, care of discusscooking.com)

something is gonna get me someday, be it a car accident, a horrid disease, or old age. whatever it is, i'm gonna go out partying and eating and having fun.
so gimme a steak, and da*n the reaper.

btw, the japanese ban with u.s beef has more to do with it than just mad cow. lots of socio-economic and political ramifications.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
pm your complaints to gb, care of discusscooking.com
i don't think my inbox is big enough

I am not worried about mad cow disease. I think they have done a very good job at screening and making sure our meat is safe to eat. The amount of the disease they have found in the US is extremely small and now that they understand how it is transmitted they have taken the needed precautions.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
Master Chef

Buckytom...what a bad boy you are!
Actually, before I had the hysterectomy, I remember feeling like a mad cow.
It's always been my opinion that every man should have to go through one really awful menstral cycle.

I don't worry about mad cow disease, at least not the way things are now.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Cook

THATS A GOOD ONE BUCKYTOM . Except for a guy that has a wife with PMS, in which case I feel your pain.