"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Is Clorox Clean Up with Bleach Enough?

I'm sure you've see it, white bottle, green label. I have finally made a dedicated a plastic cutting board for just my raw proteins (chicken, beef, pork) because y'all have made me totally paranoid . Now when I use it, I use soap and really hot water, then spray with the Clorox and then rinse again. Would you consider that enough? I have to rinse a second time because the bleach stinks.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

That sounds like a good routine.

I just keep a spray bottle of bleach and water and spray questionable surfaces with that. It's cheaper than Clorox Clean Up.

If your board is plastic, just put it into the dishwasher.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Clorine bleach works fine for sanitizing plastic cutting boards. It doesn't need to be used full strength, a couple of tablespoons per gallon is sufficient. Ideally, the cutting board should be soaked in a solution of clorine bleach and water for a half hour or so. Alternatively, it can be sprayed on and allowed to stand for at least 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing. It takes that long for the clorine to kill bacteria. If you have an automatic dishwasher, that's by far the easiest way to clean and sanitize your cutting boards. Only use plastic or acrylic boards for meats, never wood. And never use glass or other hard surface boards for anything. They destroy knives.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That sounds like a good routine.

I just keep a spray bottle of bleach and water and spray questionable surfaces with that. It's cheaper than Clorox Clean Up.

If your board is plastic, just put it into the dishwasher.
No dishwasher (which is why I'm finding new routines).

I was told a long time ago that the reason bleach comes in opaque bottles is because once exposed to light in about 20 minutes it becomes ineffective as bleach. I guess I could mix it up in the Clean Up bottle once I run out.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm not sure about the 20 minutes but, yes, light uses up bleach. That's why it comes in opaque bottles.

Yes, use the Clorox bottle. Using other bottles is not as good as the bleach wrecks the sprayer after a bit and the bottle is useless.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

If you use a wood cutting board, there's not much you need to do - it practically sanitizes itself: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research. Just wipe with a hot, soapy sponge, rinse, and dry.

Incoming!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you use a wood cutting board, there's not much you need to do - it practically sanitizes itself: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research. Just wipe with a hot, soapy sponge, rinse, and dry.Incoming!
I agree -- I never would use Clorox Kitchen Spray or any other bleach on my wood cutting board for fear it would soak in and then transfer to my food, as well as bleach the board.

I do use the stuff for my granite counter tops, however, especially after working with raw chicken.

I have a couple of plastic cutting boards I use for raw meat of any kind (including chicken and fish), and those I just rinse and pop in the dishwasher.

If I didn't have the dishwasher, however, I might consider using the Clorox on the plastic boards. According to the UC Davis study cited above, the cuts in the surface of such boards can harbor a lot of bacteria. Washing with hot water, detergent, and a scrub brush is probably sufficient, but an occasional shot of bleach shouldn't hurt.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I would never use wood for raw meat. As the OP says, this is about plastic and as I said, I don't have a dishwasher.

GotGarlic, thanks for the link. I appreciate it. I always thought you should never use wood for raw meat. Of course, I don't have wood but I appreciate the info.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you use a wood cutting board, there's not much you need to do - it practically sanitizes itself: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research. Just wipe with a hot, soapy sponge, rinse, and dry.
Incoming!
Wow! I learn something new every day. Thanks for the link. I've been spouting back the conventional wisdom about not using wood for raw meats without actually knowing what I was talking about. I feel properly chastized and humbled.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
Wow! I learn something new every day. Thanks for the link. I've been spouting back the conventional wisdom about not using wood for raw meats without actually knowing what I was talking about. I feel properly chastized and humbled.
Don't beat yourself too hard. The U.C. Davis study is not without controversy. Try Googling "wood vs. plastic cutting boards" and you'll find a slew of opinions on the subject, some concurring and some dissenting. This one quotes a report from Cook's Illustrated, which concluded that there's not much difference if you maintain them properly: ARTICLE