Is ham cooked in wrap okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lysithea

Assistant Cook
Mom inadvertently kept the ham in that inner wrapper that looks like the rind and cooked it. Is it alright to eat? She's freaking out about it...

She thought it should be left on to cook it?
People often cook the giblets in the turkey because they don't see them stuffed in the neck it a white paper bag.That always tells me they didn't wash the bird properly.
This is a new one.
Yep, I'd eat it without the wrapper.

Last edited:
It's a fully cooked boneless ham. It said to remove "wrappers" before cooking. Mom's notorious for not fully reading anything. She has a strong aversion to words that don't come out of her own mouth. Anyway, she's trying to get dad to get a new ham for safety reasons, and I'm trying to figure out if she wasted 16 bucks on a ham, or if it's salvageable if you just wash it or something.

You mean the paper-like inner wrap that looks like ham? Think of it this way. It was intended to spend a long time in contact with the ham. And it was known it would be wet. In other words, plenty of opportunity to break down or leach anything bad into the meat. But they aren't going to use anything with that potential. If it can sit there that long against the ham, it's unlikely that heat is going to suddenly produce something harmful.

For that matter, it's well known that people do mess up and leave them on sometimes, and no meat company lawyer is going to let them use something that becomes harmful during heating.

She thought it should be left on to cook it?
People often cook the giblets in the turkey because they don't see them stuffed in the neck it a white paper bag.That always tells me they didn't wash the bird properly.
This is a new one.
Yep, I'd eat it without the wrapper.

Current advice from regulatory agencies is to not wash (rinse) whole poultry due to the likelihood of spreading salmonella through cross-contamination. Bacteria, if present will be killed by proper cooking, but bacteria splashed all over your counter top, and cutting boards won't.

My DH has left that on--I found that the ham was very salty when he did that--he didn't realize that one is to take that off...or maybe it was the type of ham. We ate it, didn't die, so I guess it would be okay.

Back
Top Bottom