Is it safe to defrost meat then put it in fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so i'm guessing its not ok to thaw at room temp and then refreeze after you decided not to use it right?

i do this and my hubby always yells at me and tells me that the meat is no good but the other day i didnt listen and the meat is in the freezer. i'm guessing i should throw it out right?

Refreezing previously frozen and thawed meat is not a good idea. Although meat you buy at the store may have been frozen and thawed before you take it home and freeze it, this is all done within the period before the 'sell-by' date expires. If you are thawing a frozen meat that is beyond its sell by date, it should be discarded if not used within 24 hours of being thawed.

debbie24 said:
so i'm guessing its not ok to thaw at room temp and then refreeze after you decided not to use it right?

i do this and my hubby always yells at me and tells me that the meat is no good but the other day i didnt listen and the meat is in the freezer. i'm guessing i should throw it out right?

Yes, throw it out. Freezing will not kill the microorganisms that have already begun to grow during the improper thaw.

I'm still alive

I am NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, suggesting that this is OK for everyone...

but if you have not disturbed (opened/pierced, etc.) the packaging, and the product has defrosted - (counter or fridge - defrost is defrost...) I throw it back in the freezer if needs be.

I'm 71 - going on 72 - I have NEVER, nor have any of my brood, had food poisoning from my cooking. I have, however, had an extremely mild case from a restaurant!

So for me - this works! If you use your common sense, you will know when you can and when you can't. If you can't figure it out - throw it out... better to be safe than sorry. But I hate to waste!! food is expensive! :LOL:

I have even done it with salmon. The package was bought frozen, shrink wrapped, individual portions. It was completely defrosted (but unopened) when the guests cancelled mid afternoon. I threw it back in the freezer. Next week the kids and I had it and it was delish!

You also have to consider what kind of meat you are talking about.. ground, steak, roasts. Whole chicken? chicken pieces? Does the chicken have skin/bones on? Beef, pork? Fish? Is it a really "fatty" piece of meat? (remembering it is the fat that goes rancid first) How long has it been out to defrost? Did you unwrap it?

I have air-dried roasts, on a rack (and yes, in my fridge) for 3 to 4 days! OMG - so tender!!! and considering the subject of the Thread... :angel: to die for! :w00t::whistling

Well, with all those considerations, it's a no-brainer! ;)

Has anyone in your family ever, in all your life, had a 24-hour-bug?

Btw, this thread is 10 years old.

Well, with all those considerations, it's a no-brainer! ;)

Has anyone in your family ever, in all your life, had a 24-hour-bug?

Btw, this thread is 10 years old.

LOL :LOL:... 1. & 3. yes, I saw it was 10 years old. Just couldn't help myself with these young dragonettes who sometimes just can't seem to think things thru to the next step.

although... I stand corrected in that there is no such thing as a stupid question. There is however, such a thing as a stupid answer. So it is true... If you don't know... ASK.

2. Food poisoning and a 24-hour bug, although perhaps with the same symptoms, I do believe the timing is different. In either case, one should certainly consider what they had eaten and under what circumstance. :)shock:at least I should hope)
ok, I'm shutting up now.

LOL :LOL:... 1. & 3. yes, I saw it was 10 years old. Just couldn't help myself with these young dragonettes who sometimes just can't seem to think things thru to the next step.

ok, I'm shutting up now.

You should know your audience before disparaging them. These *young dragonettes* as you dismissed them, include Tattrat, who is and has been an executive chef in upscale Washington D.C. restaurants for many years, and VerBlue, who is the owner and executive chef of a highly successful New Orleans Italian restaurant.

Most of the folks who posted responses in this thread 10 years ago are in their 50's, 60's and 70's. Several others have professional experience.

2. Food poisoning and a 24-hour bug, although perhaps with the same symptoms, I do believe the timing is different. In either case, one should certainly consider what they had eaten and under what circumstance. :)shock:at least I should hope)
ok, I'm shutting up now.

I have no idea what you mean by that, but my point is that there is no such thing as a 24-hour-bug. Most of the time, symptoms of food poisoning are mild and last for a day or two, but certain populations with weaker immune systems are susceptible to much more severe consequences. And different pathogens present symptoms in different amounts of time. So never say never :)

Whoa whoa guys... Obviously I've stepped on a few toes and for that I apologize profusely!

I was merely trying to point out that a blanket rule always has exceptions. I was also trying to do it with a small bit of humour so as not to hurt anyones' feelings.

I obviously failed at that too!

I saw the title of the thread and did not read it in its' entirety, for which again, I apologize. I most certainly should have. and will just as soon as I wipe all the egg off my face.

I guessed I looked at it as if I was addressing the original poster. Certainly not someone who is serving the public and could never even come close to doing as I do. In my defense though I did state that what I was about to say was not a recommendation for everyone to ignore common health practices!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom