"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-07-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Red face Is it safe to defrost meat then put it in fridge?

Is it safe to defrost meat in the microwave then put it in the fridge to cook later?
My husband saw me do this and questioned whether it is safe.
Thank you for your input.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:21 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Depends on how long you keep it in the fridge! I'd certainly use it the same day it was defrosted, or the next day at the latest.

It also depends on how big the meat is. A roast, for instance, would keep a little longer than, say, minced meat.

Poultry - definitely same day for me.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Master Chef

NO! According to the FDA, as posted on the Mississippi State University Extension Service website:

"Foods defrosted in the microwave oven should be cooked immediately after thawing."
Old 09-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

"immediately". That very minute--or that very day. I cook it within the day. What if you are defrosting it in order to marinate it, for example.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacarr
Is it safe to defrost meat in the microwave then put it in the fridge to cook later?
i always though u were supposed to put meat in the fridge to defrost and then cook it in the microwave?!?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
"What if you are defrosting it in order to marinate it, for example.
Then do not use the microwave to defrost. Use the fridge or a cold water bath instead.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Sous Chef

If I'm going to use frozen meat I put it in the fridge for a day so it will defrost slowly over 24 hours. Only when I'm going to cook with it do I defrost it completely, either in water or in the microwave.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
You can use the microwave for defrosting, but it raises the temperature of some of the meat (mostly the edges) to a higher temperature than is safe, far higher than if you defrosted the meat in the refrigerator. That invites the rapid growth of bacteria. Prompt cooking of the meat is therefore essential.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
NO! According to the FDA, as posted on the Mississippi State University Extension Service website:

"Foods defrosted in the microwave oven should be cooked immediately after thawing."
Michael, you are absolutely right. I feel funny tossing this about, but I'm certified in food sanitation and safety. I believe that if people just read the course book(s) they'd never thaw on the counter or in the microwave.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Michael, you are absolutely right. I feel funny tossing this about, but I'm certified in food sanitation and safety. I believe that if people just read the course book(s) they'd never thaw on the counter or in the microwave.
Michael and/or Vera... What's wrong with defrosting meat in the microwave? I have a defrosting programme on my microwave and I use it all the time because I was told it's the safest way to defrost "dangerous" (poultry, meat,fish,...) food items. You got me worried now